Light System Help

Chaus I'd suggest going and reading DMX too, First off any device that uses DMX to control on each universe only goes from 0-512, To change universes you have to connect the cable that is connected to the second universe of the console to the device you want on the next universe. There is no setting on any fixtures that i know of to differentiate different universes on the same cable. (nor could I fore-see using two universes on one cable).

Correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe I'm just nit picking or misunderstood what you meant, but with a Robe Robin MMX Spot (user manual) you could set the universe on the fixture while using direct Ethernet control, because Cat5 cables are able to control multiple universes using Artnet or a related protocol.

From what i understood, we can control a maximum of 300 lights per universe. And I'm not totally sure how that works either. we are having a work day on tuesday and I will be able to get pictures of all the stuff. In the meantime this is the installation drawings for the system MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service.
Also, we use wireless because our system was set up for it, we don't have a connection for the board in the booth, our cord runs 25 feet from the booth to the light closet where the Aux equipment rack is. If anyone can identify what all the things on the equipment rack are and what they do, it would be nice to know. If you magnify enough you can actually see everything written on the stuff.
At this point my main concern is having our theatre back up to snuff before we leave for the summer, I'd like it to be fully functional next year.

Unfortunately those are only the Wiring diagrams. Nothing in there actually tells where equipment is, While it does list some equipment that is in your system it does not specifically help with figuring out why you are at a wireless system when most if not all consulting firms and even manufacturers prefer wired systems over wireless...

I find it extremely hard to believe that there isn't a DMX port in your booth, whether its with an Ethernet port or XLR.

Okay this is starting to make mote sense if there is a port in the wall for the lighting system it definitely isn't wireless. You are also probably able to control both universes off the one Ethernet line. It's most likely in the settings this is assuming that this is similar to the eos line from etc

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

All of it works great but we barely know how to use it.

No point in getting more stuff until know everything there is to know about what you already have.

As for the 35,000 lumen projector, I'm guessing that's a HES/Barco DL-3 or comparable, maybe a Robe. Basically a video projector built into a moving head.

From the consoles data sheet http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/14667-N8700 GS Series Data Sheet.pdf

You can actually have up to 8 full universes of control through the Ethernet port. there are two local ports on the back of the console but you don't necessarily need them. Putting a console like this in would mean that they didn't intend it to be wireless so the Ethernet port located in the booth likely has the ability to control all your equipment including your dimmers and your revolutions. you likely also have DMX nodes located through-out your theater and those can be used to daisy chain devices to the network.

We normally use the ethernet port which, I can assure you uses a wireless connection. The board in and of itself is not designed for wireless, it uses a wifi adapter that is screwed to the wall that it connects to via ethernet. There is one hardwired DMX port in the booth for an LCD control panel that we have hooked up, but we could hook the board up to it, the only problem with that being we could only control one universe because of the one port, and we would no longer have the LCD panel. And we do have many DMX ports throughout the theatre and many daisy chained fixtures. Ours actually has 4 local ports on the back, btw, we use the 8724GX model, not the 8700GS series, although it looks nice.

Sorry if I was confusing the first time around.

We normally use the ethernet port which, I can assure you uses a wireless connection. The board in and of itself is not designed for wireless, it uses a wifi adapter that is screwed to the wall that it connects to via ethernet. There is one hardwired DMX port in the booth for an LCD control panel that we have hooked up, but we could hook the board up to it, the only problem with that being we could only control one universe because of the one port, and we would no longer have the LCD panel. And we do have many DMX ports throughout the theatre and many daisy chained fixtures. Ours actually has 4 local ports on the back, btw, we use the 8724GX model, not the 8700GS series, although it looks nice.

Sorry if I was confusing the first time around.

So let me get this straight: They took your board, Hardwired it to a wi-fi adapter, and then thats it? That sounds incredibly poorly planned, I cant imagine a consultant doing that to anyone... Take some extensive photos of the back if you can?

What can I say. i wasn't around when the remodel happened, somebody decided wifi would be really cool. And actually I think that originally everything was hardwired with a pathport system that we later replaced because it was deemed out of date and useless. From what I can gather it was quite up to date and had many uses. Okay. So only one or two uses. But thats beside the point. Now we have wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back