Light Up Riser Part of Stairs

Thoms

Hello everyone,

I am helping out a local Highschool with their production of Chicago HS Edition. Our set consists of two 8' staircases on either side of the stage and I would like to make the riser part of the stairs glow, I have lights I will be able to use of this, the issue I do not know is what material can I cover the riser with that is translucent enough to show the light from behind but not break if kicked?

Preferably cost effective also! Thanks!

'Standard' 1/8"-1/4" plexi should be fine. you can make it opaque in several different manners including sanding both sides, or applying drafting vellum to the back side. If you have a decent budget get some sign grade white translucent plexi. I't's spendier, more resistant to impact and less likely to have Hot spots.

Hello everyone,

I am helping out a local Highschool with their production of Chicago HS Edition. Our set consists of two 8' staircases on either side of the stage and I would like to make the riser part of the stairs glow, I have lights I will be able to use of this, the issue I do not know is what material can I cover the riser with that is translucent enough to show the light from behind but not break if kicked?

Preferably cost effective also! Thanks!
@Thoms Would Coroplast work for you?
Constructed similar to corrugated cardboard but using translucent plastic.
Rigid as cardboard, and back lights well with a frosted appearance; would break if intentionally KICKED hard but should stand up to normal use, especially if held back an inch from the tread's leading edge. Should be available by the sheet from your local big box hardware / Home Depot, cuts readily and clean with a SHARP fine blade in your table saw.
Let's put Control Booth's 'Bat Call' to work: [B]@Van[/B] @kicknargel Would either of you care to post to [B]@Thoms[/B] query?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used 1/8" HDPE sheets for our set. Took light beautifully and seemed pretty resilient, but I haven't tried kicking it yet. I bought three 4' x 70" sheets for less than $70 from Midland Plastics Not sure how far you are from Des Moines, but try to find someplace local that will work with you and you can get a great price.

20200207_101040.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back