Lighting a cyc in a strange space...

jumpjet

I'm putting up a show in a strange space. The stage itself is almost hexagonal. It is sort of a 3/4 thrust, but less pronounced. The rear wall is three sided, with a flat back wall of about 20 ft, and then two walls that pitch towards the house. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to light the scrim evenly. Currently there are two strips along the back wall, and then scoops to light the sides, but the sides are always WAY brighter than the middle. Any thoughts?

Just dim the scoops or put some amber gel in the scoops to see if that helps without look awkward.

fox beat me too it, I would also say dim the scoopes
get back to us if that doesn't work, because I may end up with the same problem in my theatre.

I mean, it sort of works, but the angles are different and everything, so although you can make it work, it only lights the top of the scim evenly...

Is there anyway to move the cycs back or at least hang them off to the front of the stage off of the bar so as to move them farther away from the scrim and get a wider angle?

you might try some linear diffusion gels.

You could try switching the strips and scoops. Use the scoops for the flat center and a strip each side for the wings. With dimming ability you'll probably have a better end result.

Thats an interesting idea, Bill. I might just try that combined with some cyc silk diffusion gels. I had been hesitant before to use diffusion, because the strips all had rondelles in them, and I didnt want to pick up new gel frames for the entire strip merely because I didn't like the look of it, but now it is becoming worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back