Lighting a giant juke box

BLengyel

So for our upcoming show grease i have been granted the task of figuring out how to light up the outside of a jukebox ins some way, does anyone have and tips, suggestions or ideas for me?

Perhaps you're thinking of this one?
Here's a pic of the jukebox we're building for Grease. I should probably wait until it's finished but it's turning out so nice I'm posting a pic mid-construction.
6317-lighting-giant-juke-box-5701d1319540286-hey-i-thought-we-could-share-pictures-our-shows-imag0170.jpg
What's the light source and can each section be individually controlled?

The stairs each use an Elation DLED RGBAW strip. The jukebox is 8 individually controlled segments, each using an Elation TriLED 64 B.

Attachments

• 5701d1319540286-hey-i-thought-we-could-share-pictures-our-shows-imag0170.jpg
    5701d1319540286-hey-i-thought-we-could-share-pictures-our-shows-imag0170.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,155
Last edited:
Wow I guess the giant jukebox Idea really is pretty cliche. But not the same as my design.

Im a huge fan of taking rope light, bundling it up, and putting it in a box made out of 3/4" ply with a frosted plex (or clear with diffusion taped on) front. It looks far more even inside than a single lamp, and is pretty cheap to boot. What does the lighting need to do? Does it need to chase, or change colors? I would imagine LED tape or something like that would probably work in a similar scenario...

Is that all frosted plexi? How much does it cost?

Is that all frosted plexi? How much does it cost?
It's actually florescent light diffusers. I found some at Lowe's that were flexible enough to make fairly tight curves and soft enough to cut with tin snips. I ended up not making any real curves, but it was helpful that they didn't crack easily. They were about $8 each, I believe and I used 25 total. We had a couple of cracks during the run (I expected that when I faced the stairs with them), but they were easily patched from behind with clear packing tape.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back