Lighting Basics, can you dumb it down too much?

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
Well it appears our wiki is safe. For now.

WTF is a "Derby"? Has anyone ever heard that before? Description sounds vaguely like a multi-color porcupine?

Derby — A lighting effect that projects numerous fast-moving, razor-sharp, multicolor beams in a wide pattern.

A derby is a type of hat, or a race.

Well it appears our wiki is safe. For now.

WTF is a "Derby"? Has anyone ever heard that before? Description sounds vaguely like a multi-color porcupine?

A derby is a type of hat, or a race.

WTF is a multi-colored porcupine ?. Have never heard of that or a Derby.

As well, the very top headline states “Basic Lighting Terms for Musicians”. There is no such thing as too simple for a musician.

WTF is a multi-colored porcupine ?. Have never heard of that or a Derby.

As well, the very top headline states “Basic Lighting Terms for Musicians”. There is no such thing as too simple for a musician.
@SteveB Then clearly you've never been to Baltimore, perhaps your Donald can issue a few tweets to broaden your perspective.
Toodleoo!
Ron ( Posting from north of the walls where the majority of brightly colored rodents are commonplace, even if mistakenly spelled coloured) Hebbard

I’ve been to Baltimore and still have no idea what’s a multi-colored porcupine. Is this somehow related to Orange In Chiefs tweets ?, as I’ve paid no attention.

As well, the terms describes an ellipsoidal spotlight as having an ellipsoidal reflector. I’m dead certain a musician is not going to have any clue what that is.

Someone doesn't remember his Studio54 days...

A porcupine can be described as "an inside-out mirror ball": one light source, many lenses.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

-----
Many are DJ terms. Do DJs come before or after musicians on the continuum?

I can state I’ve never used or hung one and never worked at 54. I did the conversion of the Palladium, which was the 2nd nightclub run by Rubell and Shrager before they went to prison. That experience made me glad I was never at 54, though a lot of contemporaries were and got burned by the experience.

Everyone would have to conceed that theatre lighting is different to band lighting is different to nightclub lighting.

The Sweetwater article is really aimed at people about to buy their first or second fixture. It's not bad, but has some errors that hurt my eyes.

Remember, this just just a salesman trying to sell disco lights to newcomers. Given the context, I'd give it a 7/10.

Anytime I've seen the word "Derby" in reference to a DJ/Nightclub light, they're referring to something like this.

AGGRESSOR-05.jpg

First off, Sweetwater is a very good company with helpful people working there but......
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/basic-lighting-terms-musicians/
I have to wonder if this is too simplified and in some cases misleading.
Full disclosure, I've got a lot of indirect connections to Sweetwater.

It seems like they're just getting serious about trying to get into lighting, and up to recently, all they had was DJ stuff. So, I really doubt they have a lighting expert... or even a novice on staff.

Considering that the article confuses framing shutters and barn doors, I think I'll pass on this article.

Slips in a nice sales reference for American DJ and Chauvet, but not any others. Hmm.

It does give me pause to think about what I would consider the bare essentials of lighting for non-professionals. I'd probably emphasize the differences between wash and spot fixtures (as well as moving lights and static fixtures); positions for lights on a stage, and various effects musicians might encounter.

Considering that the article confuses framing shutters and barn doors, I think I'll pass on this article.

Slips in a nice sales reference for American DJ and Chauvet, but not any others. Hmm.

It does give me pause to think about what I would consider the bare essentials of lighting for non-professionals. I'd probably emphasize the differences between wash and spot fixtures (as well as moving lights and static fixtures); positions for lights on a stage, and various effects musicians might encounter.
@theatricalmatt Have they graduated to matte black power cabling yet or are they still in the land of orange, yellow, fluorescent pink and fluorescent green? Isn't that how you determine the various levels between total newbs and fully matured and ripened pro's??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back