Lighting color mix

MikeHD03

I have a 4 lamp PAR 64 500 watt tree. For lighting dancers on a stage what combo of colors are best. Currently I have colored gels ( Red, green blue yellow) or at least they look like these colors, there is probably a more tech name for these colors.

At least for a start mix do I light up all 4 ? About how far away should I be ? I have Light Trees that go up about 16 feet.

Thanks

Rosco has some great little booklets. This one includes several pages of suggestions for different purposes (acting areas, effects, backgrounds, etc) There are hundreds of colors available from several companies.
http://us.rosco.com/sites/default/files/content/resource/2016-09/Guide_to_Color_Filters.pdf

What you probably have are primary colors, so blending them together will produce white-ish colors. The rest depends on the dance and what you want to do through the event.

The distance will determine the coverage and the brightness of the lights. Dance whether ballet or party is usually more about contrasts and changing looks and less about having enough light to read. Your best bet is to set things up in a couple of different ways and see what you think looks best. There are many books and college classes that teach the theory and math involved, but you will learn a lot just by keeping your eyes open!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back