Control/Dimming Lighting Console: 24/48

Here is essentially problem #2: I mistakenly asked my dealer to order the equipment from strand, I haven't paid for it yet, but i do not like asking her to cancel the order. I decided on the 200 Series after a recommendation from another tech. I used the board recently and i really don't like it... So... I am hoping that Strand will not kill me for cancelling the order...

Strand won't care, you should get what you want.

Cue Stacks are easier to do, especially when there are different techs opperating, and new people showing up constantly. I think i am going to go with a Basic Palette 2. Good choice?

The Basic Palette is a nice desk, and chances are it will serve your purposes well. Also, it is a much better choice than the 200 because it gives you some element of future-proofing. You may not plan to use MLs or other DMX gear now, but you never know what you might want to do in the future.

All of the current Strand consoles run the same software. The differences are in the number of physical faders, encoders or not, how many buttons in the keypads, and the processor speed of the CPU. So the Preset Palette has a lot of faders on it, but is perfectly capable of running a cuelist from a GO button or even multiple cue lists. It can even handle moving lights, it just has no encoders so controlling them is a little more time consuming. If you had thought that the Basic Pallet was going to be a good fit for you, then you won't be disappointed with the Preset Palette. Just make sure that you have a big enough table to put it on!

Just as an FYI, ETC announced today that they will OFFICIALLY be showing of their new, smaller console in the EOS/ION line at USITT. Just another option to look into.

That confirms the persistent rumor. To add to it, look for Ion Jr., or Element, to be like Ion, less encoders and direct selects, but with integral 40 or 60 faders, and with some relation/feel to the old Express line (at least a name beginning with "E"..), to bring the old Express'ers running back. List ~ $5,500. But time will tell....

This console is not a Preset Palette 2, it is the original Palette series, never the less, still a good deal?

Software is still the same. The hardware is a little different, but ultimately you would probably not notice the difference between the V1 hardware and the V2 hardware.

The question of "is it a good deal?" really can only be answered by you. Have you actually sat down at the console and used it? If not then get a demo from the people that have it. Make sure that you like it. However, form what it sounds like, it would be a good fit for you.

i have used the offline palette editor... Should i still get a physical demo?

Yes, there is no comparator to actually bringing the desk into your theatre and seeing it work and actually pushing the buttons. It is one thing to know how the software works, but sitting at a console is a whole different beast.

Agree with everything Alex said. As for if it's a good deal. Ask your dealer these two questions: How many channels does the preset come with? What would it cost to upgrade the basic to that many channels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back