Lighting Console Simulator System Requirements

coyoteawooo

So, first off, love this site. Have read dozens (hundreds?) of super useful discussions here. But I've come across something I can't seem to find an answer to, or at least I'm not searching for the right key words.

I'm trying to learn more about all of the things (yes, I'm aware of the frustration I just caused worldwide with that phrase). My main problem is actually having the equipment to "play" with and get comfortable using. One of my lighting buddies said the GMA2PC download is "the same as the console." I haven't played with the console, I don't know what he means. But I can download the software, which in my world is forward progress.

Some of the specs are things I'm not sure about though. GMA2PC states that "A highspeed 3D graphics card with hardware acceleration and at least 256 MByte RAM is recommended." What I can find in my system is that I have an AMD Radeon R6. I do not know what this means or if it will work.

If someone else knows, I would appreciate the input. If you need more information, let me know.

Thank you!! in advance because I know I'll get all excited to learn a thing and forget to say it later.

The program Speccy will tell you about all the components of your computer, including your graphics hardware. This quote from a review "Due to significant differences in core clock speed and memory support between various Radeon R6 models, the performance can vary greatly between different APUs." makes me think you need to dig a little deeper about your configuration. The link here from GrandMa tells the computer requirements. Match that with the Speccy output.

Thank you, dbaxter!!

I looked at those links - the GrandMA one wouldn't open, but I was able to navigate through their webpage to the system specs. The oputput from Speccy didn't really tell me what I needed to know but that may be because I didn't really know how to read it. It does look like my display resolution is lower than recommended but I'm curious if that effects the overall performance of the software or simply its ability to render detailed 3D simulations of the design/program. If this is the case, it does not impact its usability for learning my way around the interface.

I'll keep looking, and if anyone has thoughts they are much appreciated.

Most console software is not very resource intensive. Most computer from the last 5 years will run it fine. I'd just download the software and if it runs, great! If it doesn't run well, then don't run it. No harm done.

Hi, a resident computer geek here.

I can comfortably say that any program that only requires 256 MB of RAM isn't going to need all that much in the way of graphical power.

Unless you are simulating light fixtures in 3D, you shouldn't need anything special. That Radeon R6 should do the trick just fine.

Thanks for your input guys!! I went ahead and downloaded and have been playing around with it. There doesn't seem to be any problem running it on this system, and if I'm lacking any graphical power it seems to be something I can live without.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back