Lighting console

mbandgeek

Here are some questions to help me build my knowledge on the different makers, and models of light boards.

1) What is your favorite Lighting console?

2) How many different consoles have you used?

3) If you regualary use a console, do you think it would be worth the money to buy one of the same model?

Mine Answers are

1) Teatronics producer 2+ it may be old, but it is simple and very easy to program

2) I have used only about 8.

3) I think that i would spend the money to get another producer 2 board.

3) I

1) i have used strand boards (two different styles) and am starting to learn both an etc 24/48 and a hog 500.

2) strand, nsi, leprechan (very old one)

3) i have not come across any reason to switch to another console. Everything i have wanted was able to be done on the strand board

ETC Obsession II

Two scene preset, three flavors of ETC Express, ETC Acclaim, ETC Expression 1, ETC Expression 3, ETC Obsession I 600, ETC Obsession II, Strand 550i.

3) If you regualary use a console, do you think it would be worth the money to buy one of the same model?

I'm quite happy with my university's Obsession I, but it doesn't have the moving light functions of the Obsession II or a Wholehog/GrandMA/Avolites/etc...

Favorite: gotta say I love the Express 125. Good little board that will do most anything you throw at it

Consoles used: Express 125,24/48;Obsession 1, Some old POC two scene preset, NSI single scene preset
(and at some point in the near future I am expecting to get my hands on a hog)

Sure, why not, its good to have backups. Though at that point I'd rather an Obsession 2 or GrandMA..... those are worth the money IMO

1) ETC Express 48/96

2) ETC Express, ETC Obsession ML (played around with it for a few hours), Colortran Encore, Lightronics TL-3256, Lightronics 2-scene preset board

3) Well, I've already got a backup board to our Encore, but it's not another Encore. It's just the Lightronics 3256. If I was to get another encore, it'd be the XL model instead of the 48/96 model. And I'd get an HHR that works.

1) Conventionals: ETC express
Movers: Jands Vista, Grand MA

2) ETC express, Jands ESP II, Jands Vista, Grand MA, Mini Light Pallet

3) Yes because i can cross rent it in between jobs. I am looking at buying a Jands Vista because it is a completly differnt concept it is the new way of programing a show it is very efficient. When you are talking about spending that kind of cash you should better be sure this is the carrer you want for your self Though.

JH

Next to the producer 2, the ETC express 48/96 is really a good board. I have never used one but i know of a place that has one.

1)
Conventionals: I like the Express, the new Conga looks pretty cool though.

Movers: Haven't used it, but from what I've heard and what I've read, the Maxxyz console looks to be really nice. They have one at Full Sail, if that means anything.

2)
Offline: ETC EOL, Hog II PC, Hog III PC, MaxxyzPC, GrandMA onPC, Conga Offline, Pearl 2000 ofline, and others I cant remember as well...

Real: Express 48/96, 24/48, Strand Mantrix MX 24, 48, Hog II, Acclaim 36, various simple 2 scene boards from NSI, Lightronics, etc., other ones I don't remember...

3) So for like a backup? Or as a new console. If for new, I'd usually try to upgrade. Otherwise just stick with whatever is feasable. If you can afford the same one. go for it.

Last edited:
mbandgeek said:
Here are some questions to help me build my knowledge on the different makers, and models of light boards.

1) 3 choices: GrandMA, Maxxyz or Hog iPC

2) Easily over 15..lost track after a while :)

3) Well, I don't know, I have 3 favorite consoles because they all allow for different things. But a backup is always nice.

If some random power surge happened to blow out the producer 2+ i use. I like the producer, but it is outdated and i would have to go with a ETC express 48/96. It is similar to the producer 2, but with newer features and has cues, where the produced didn't.

I'm not too experienced with lighting, but I have used some boards.

1) What is your favorite Lighting console? It depends on what I am doing. The best I have used is a Hog iPC, but I don't know that I would take it out on anything as I don't know it very well. I probably would pick that though as learning it isn't too difficult.

2) How many different consoles have you used? While I'm no expert at it I have used an Express 48/96. I have also used an iPC, and a PowerCue DMX (its an old High End board made for movers) a NSI 2 scene board, and a Lepricon 2 scene board that was probably older than me.

3) If you regualary use a console, do you think it would be worth the money to buy one of the same model? I don't really run lights on a regular basis.

mbandgeek said:

Express 2 scene. I currently use a 48/96, wish for a 72 and can't wait to see what ETC comes out with next. The Express is a good all-round console, just very weak w/ movers, though I'm getting Emphasis soon, so that may improve.

Express 48, 125&250, Expression I & III, Microvision, Vision, Concept, some version of an Avab, Colortran Status & Prestige 2000, Strand Mantrix, Mini-Light Pallette, Light Pallette, Micro-Q, Multi-Q, Kliegl Performer & Performance Gold, Leprecon 1500 & 2000, Teatronics Producer II, Avo Pearl, KliegPac 9, Kliegl 12 channel/2 scene units, TTI 2 scene's, NSI, Luxtrol 6x2500w auto-transformer, assorted Ward-Leonard stuff, Played w/ a Hog II and GrandMA (don't "know" either well).

Personally ?. No. Maybe Light Jockey w/ fingers, or something similar

Mine Answers are

1) Teatronics producer 2+ it may be old, but it is simple and very easy to program

Great console. Would have purchased one if the company had stayed financially stable. A lot of their early stuff was designed by Doug Fleenor, one of the DMX and RDM control protocol pioneers.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back