Control/Dimming Lighting Consoles Thought's

techie33

Hi People
I am trying to figure what part to go down . . .
I need a lighting console with at least 2 Universes that I small and portable . . .
I have a touch screen laptop ready to run something.

My thoughts so far a MA Wing as it has the potential for me to step up, and possible best to take overseas?
I do theatre, dance party's, hiphop crap.

What are your thoughts and advice internet world ?

First off... I manufacture and distribute the BlueLite X1, so I do have a bias.

But you should at least take a look at our BlueLite X1 products. X1 Home Page .The software is free to download and is fully functioning version You'll still need the X1 hardware to control your fixtures and you can use up to four X1's (4 Universe's each = 16 Universes total) or 4 X1-Mini's (1 Universe each = 4 Universes total) simultaneously. If 16 Universes aren't enough, we also Output ArtNet (although the chief engineer tells me we can only control 40 or so ArtNet Universes) .
The 24 Submasters provide control for all 16 universes (all 8192 channels if you need them) and you (currently) have 24 pages you can use which allows you to save over 500 cues and you can recall the pages using simple Function Key recalls. Create and save your "cues" (or "looks"or "scenes"... we call them cues, up to 1,000,000) and assign them to whichever submaster you need. You can plug in any DMX console to use as an external controller to give you a "hands on" console. The submasters can also be controlled using our simple MIDI sample apps (Sample Apps)

The LivePanel app (under the Tools menu), was designed for DJ, VJ, and "Live" preformances where you don't necessarily know what's coming next onstage. You use your cues to create chases (or sequences) that you can recall using, again, 24 pages but this time there are 48 'chases' on each page. The Live panel also has MIDI input capability and also has the ability to use audio signals (using an audio source on your LivePanel's PC) to trigger changes. We've also just released a free iOS and Android app to control Live Panel using your iPhone, iPad, or Android devices.
iOS
Android

We're currently looking for feedback from users as to what they're looking for in a VST module that could be used with Sonar or Abelton to control your DMX loghtiing from inside your DAW.
Please check out our web site and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or even if you just want to chat.
Light In Motion

Last edited:
MA wing is VERY nice....around $7K I've heard from "street price."

I'd also look at the Maritn M2PC control surface.

You can also do Hog Wings with either a Super Widget or a DP8000.

Those would be my 1, 2, 3 choices...and the best ability to scale up.

My thoughts so far a MA Wing as it has the potential for me to step up, and possible best to take overseas?
I do theatre, dance party's, hiphop crap.

How big of events do you do? An MA wing is going to be overkill unless you are doing CEO/Rockstar's birthday parties or extremely large dance events, etc. My question is: Why do you want your own console? Generally if the event is big enough to drag you overseas, they can rent whatever kind of console you might wish to have, so you could get a GMA 2 Full Size whenever you needed it, and not have to fix it when it broke or in any other way pay for it yourself. Now. If you are doing very small events, an MA wing might be a bit of overkill, and something like an ETC Element (about the same price as the MA wing and its a full console), Magic Cue with some wings, etc, will get you a far better bang for your buck. Honestly, I would look at Chamsys, simply because its far less expensive and probably the level of expandability you want, but more details on the situation might help.

I don't know if it is out yet, But Chamsys MagicQ 80 is supposed to be portable enough to stow away on a plane, has a touch screen and I believe has twelve universes. Four of which are physical universes while the others are ethercon.

But if you are set on a laptop, there are also Chamsys wings anywhere from I believe 1.5k to 6k. Don't quote me on that. But the middle grade, PC Wing, has two universes and encoder wheels. And the Maxi Wing has four with encoder wheels and buttons. Which are pretty nice. I've been demoing one for a little while now and loving it.

IMO-Several reasons to own a console (rather than rent): you can practice on the hardware at your convenience and become an expert on it; it is always available when you need it, and there is never a question about what it was subject to by a prior user.

How big of events do you do? An MA wing is going to be overkill unless you are doing CEO/Rockstar's birthday parties or extremely large dance events, etc. My question is: Why do you want your own console? Generally if the event is big enough to drag you overseas, they can rent whatever kind of console you might wish to have, so you could get a GMA 2 Full Size whenever you needed it, and not have to fix it when it broke or in any other way pay for it yourself. Now. If you are doing very small events, an MA wing might be a bit of overkill, and something like an ETC Element (about the same price as the MA wing and its a full console), Magic Cue with some wings, etc, will get you a far better bang for your buck. Honestly, I would look at Chamsys, simply because its far less expensive and probably the level of expandability you want, but more details on the situation might help.

The reason I was thinking MA as I am in New Zealand and If I want to go overseas that would be a good board to know also I want to learn MA :)
I would like my own console as I have my own Chinese LED Parcans and battens, That quickly takes up 1 Universe.
By the time I buy a wing or two I thought for a extra $2 - 3k I can get a MA wing. But $7k for the MA wing is defiantly at the top of the price range for me.

It's less than 7k, get a real quote before making up your mind. My wing is awesome and well worth it.

Axis

The reason I was thinking MA as I am in New Zealand and If I want to go overseas that would be a good board to know also I want to learn MA :)
I would like my own console as I have my own Chinese LED Parcans and battens, That quickly takes up 1 Universe.
By the time I buy a wing or two I thought for a extra $2 - 3k I can get a MA wing. But $7k for the MA wing is defiantly at the top of the price range for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back