Design Lighting Control HELP!!

dwvsplat

We have a system retrofit that we need help with.
I will give a description of our system. We have 3 lightronics rack dimmer packs (2-RA121, and 1-RA122), a wall mount SR-516W, NSI M7024, and LED Blizzard Pars. We run the M7024 from a remote room, and the wall mount (sr-516w) is on the main floor. Here are the problems: To take control away from the M7024 we have a light switch that cuts the DMX signal from that controller so only the sr-516w works, when we do this all the lights flicker (what is the propper way to do this?).
Also, the LED lights are on a switched circuit, when they get switched on or off all the lights flicker.
All of the DMX cables run from the m7024 through the sr-516 then through the dimmer packs and then into the LED pars (all in series).
Do I need to get a DMX splitter/isolator, how do we get the upstairs controller (m704)off without light flash.(could we just turn the power off to that controller?
Thanks for all the help (in advanced)

I am not entirely versed in electronic circuit theory, but I do know my theatrical Lighting fixtures pretty well. I have questions you should ponder:

When you turn on the fixtures, do all of your lights flicker (meaning both the LEDs and Conventional ones)?

LED lights, although useful in color mixing and quite efficient, have a tendency to flicker a bright white color when the fixtures are powered up. This is because sending power to the fixture turns on each individual LED light in the fixture at once. This flickering is almost unavoidable when powering on LED fixtures. So, if the LED Blizzard Pars are the only fixture flickering when you switch over control, it could turn out to not be a problem in your overall architectural design.

If all of your fixtures are flickering when switching circuits, then you can disregard the previous information. Hopefully someone better versed in electric curcuitry and architectural designs could be of more help than myself, but for now I can leave you with two .pdf's which may be helpful to you.

http://www.lightronics.com/pdfs/chrt_racks.pdf
http://www.lightronics.com/pdfs/sr516wc.pdf

A quick skim of the sr-516w manual indicates to me that you have it setup correctly. Although I'm not an expert on Lightronics gear or architectural interfaces either. I suppose it's possible that your flicker problem is the switch. Try just unplugging the NSI unit, can't hurt anything. But I think the problem is just the gear itself. Lightronics is mediocre quality gear, and it's definitely not meant to be switching back and forth between DMX and Wall unit control in the middle of the show. It could be that the equipment itself just hiccups a second when it's switching from one control to the other and because of that it flickers. Is there any reason you need to switch control sources when there is an audience watching? Or is this just a general concern of why it blinks?

I don't think a splitter will solve your problem either. It looks like that wall unit is designed to sit inline and listen to a DMX console, and take control when the DMX signal goes away. Just like you already have it set up. Adding a splitter I think would only cause issues of priority for the dimmers (which unit does the dimmer listen to when there are two on).

Last edited:
I was thinking an a/b dmx switch would help, but I have found nothing that would mount in a wall (single gang wall box).
I agree we do not use the wall unit until a production is over, I was just wondering if this set-up was up to code.

Thanks!

There really isn't a code about this sort of thing other than following manufacturer's directions. The way I read that manual its setup corre fly and doing what it's supposed to do. There is just a flicker as the wall unit takes a second to detect a lack of DMX and take over. You might want to contact Lightronics and ask them if it is normal for that wall unit to have brief delay or if it can be repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back