Lighting Design Schools

Narissa

Hi, I currently work in the production area of my church (we generally have live concert-like productions each weekend). I do many things such as controlling video cameras and screens as well as operating our lighting system. I have developed a real passion for lighting and I am usually the one to program all of our lighting sequences. We use the dot2 for pc program and most of our fixtures are from the chauvet dj collection. I am a junior in high school and am seriously considering going to school for lighting design after I graduate. I go to a prestigious gifted only high school so the general expectation is to go to a university and not a vocational school or community college. However, I find that at many universities their lighting design programs are more targeted for theatrical purposes and I really would like to find a school that has a program for concert/sports venue lighting design. I have heard a lot about full sail and they seem to have the atmosphere I'm shooting for but I have also heard a lot of negative things about them. Does anyone have suggestions for schools that have great programs for lighting design and show production?

Full Sail's certainly in your neighborhood. In spite of all the criticism they get, they do turn out some talented individuals. A conventional university will push you harder, give you more room to fail gracefully without burning out. FS is there to teach you and it's largely up to you and only you to get out of your education what you are capable and committed to put into it. I would say it's a better school for you if you know you are absolutely committed to what they are selling. If there's any likelihood at all you would want to switch out to another major, your options at FS are much more limited and you'll have a hard time getting credit to transfer out to other schools. The other thing about them is that you will get an education that is targeted specifically at the technology, at the expense of the kind of higher learning of history, communications, visual arts, theater history, acting/performance, script analysis, the humanities, etc that a liberal arts college would offer. These are not necessarily deal breakers, but they do help foster a sense of purpose and a sensibility of lighting design as an art form that you may or may not receive from FS.

UNCSA is another top tier school. More traditional to a college experience but targeted toward the arts. A few friends/coworkers of mine paid good money to go there and have received valuable educations. They've made strong contacts across the country and at a relatively young age have some wide networks of friends cutting their teeth at various high places across the industry.

May want to take a look at FSU up in Tallahassee. They've got a pretty robust program and aren't a cross-country move. Thing you want to be careful of here and anywhere with grad programs is that you want to make sure you'll get actual design experience -- that all of the real projects don't get handed to the grad students and the undergrads only get to punch buttons and hang fixtures.

Wherever you go and while on your way to getting there, get as much hands-on experience as you can. The young people in the industry who I can point to and say they're building their resumes at a rocket pace are the ones who supplemented their education with getting out and spending as much time as possible working events, theaters, at design and/or install firms, or at production companies. Internships, internships, internships! An expensive degree is meaningless if you anyone who would hire you needs to give you training wheels to put it to use.

In this regard, geography matters. You want a school that has a program with your focus, but you also want it to be in an area where you have venues or companies you can moonlight at or take summer internships with. Try to avoid paying rent as a barista if you can do it working at a roadhouse.

I would say since you are still in high school and haven't committed yet. Find a place this summer and work there. Make friends, talk to people, and network. See if you really want to do this. This industry isn't so much what paper says what you know but more so who you know and what you have actually done.

There are many great threads on here about getting into the industry. I suggest you read all of them and then do it again.

Personally for me when I was hiring I would value years worked over years taught any day if the week. Work ethic and know how is far better than a piece of paper with a gold seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back