Lighting fixture truss/pipe clamps- your favorites?

We don't use the ETC (or anyone's) cast iron clamp because it is not load rated. (Yes, UL approves of it as part of the sited assembly, but their testing seems inadequate for structural integrity.) And while braking is rare, it's not unheard of. For a thousand or two dollars in a project of many million dollars with several hundred thousand in lighting, not worth it to me to skimp on this. YMMV. (And perhaps cast iron c-clamps, ETCs' is one of if not the best - so not garbage - just not for me.)

One mans Garbage is another mans treasure.

I think we are both saying the same thing; for a little bit more money there are much better products, and they are worth it. Me calling things "garbage" is like polite people saying "its not my favorite." If I really don't like a product, I could not mention it on controlbooth without being kicked off the forum, because my choice of descriptive words would not be appropriate for the diverse audience.

A cast C-clamp is a slow, less secure, and less accurate tool for conventional lights. Try to have someone focus a 5 degree, then when its perfect, have them tighten the pan(Jesus) nut, and watch the light tip up or down 5 feet, just because the clamp was not perfectly level when it was first hung. It sucks and its slow.

There are a lot of clamps from the light source, and they are all good in the right application; a cast C-clamp is not really the best in any application, IMO.

I prefer Light Source products... But just about everything in my theater is cast iron. So I guess not that much.

If I had the money or pull, I would go with the Apollo clamps, we have a few and I love them. You have to open them a bit more, but I think that that makes them feel more secure.

Sadly I work with eons old c-clamps and until now I did not know they were not load rated. Thank whoever that our safety cables are.

Thanks for the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Sadly I work with eons old c-clamps and until now I did not know they were not load rated.
Sadly, you are certainly not alone. https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/are-c-clamps-rated.6726/

Favorite clamp for conventionals: Mega Clamp
proxy.php

Favorite clamp for moving lights: Mega Claw
proxy.php

Haven't used the "skinny" version mentioned in post #4, but imagine that would be just fine. Psychological factor in getting over "it's smaller, must be weaker."

Most detested clamp: trigger clamp.
proxy.php

They seem to always bind up at the most inopportune time, like when trying to hang an 80 lb. luminaire.

Thanks for the many replies gang, much appreciated!

Do you generally prefer black or stick with the natural aluminum finish?

I think that was battens not barrens.

In the future with LED fixtures, add RFID chips to all add-ons, read by the fixture and transmitted as RDM data.

Why not just colour code the barrel ears? I can easily tell from the degree of the coded fixture from the deck. Would have a hard time spotting a coded clamp, that may or may not be up to date with barrel swaps.

For me it's mostly only an issue on the catwalk where I only have 19 and 26 degree barrels. I'm sure I could come up with something else if the mood struck me, just saying that it could be a neat option.

Do you generally prefer black or stick with the natural aluminum finish?

How about rust colored? Got lots of thoes...

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

ETC cast clamps are garbage, as are all other cast C-clamps(G-clamps?) They damage truss, and they are much more likely to crack and drop your fixture and a chunk of metal.

To quote The Dude, Jeffrey Lebowski, "That's just like...your opinion, man." For Truss, you may have a valid argument ONLY in regards to the damaging the soft aluminum truss aspect. For conventionals, my favorite has long been the ETC C-clamps. Never had a single problem with them in two decades of using them. They are easily the most reliable and best to use in my experience. Especially when used on standard Schedule 40 pipe battens. I can't stand C-clamps without a pan nut. Having to loosen the one holding the yoke to the fixture just to pan the fixture is just asking for trouble, especially when used by inexperienced people or students.

Mega Clamps are good for Movers.

To quote The Dude, Jeffrey Lebowski, "That's just like...your opinion, man." For Truss, you may have a valid argument ONLY in regards to the damaging the soft aluminum truss aspect. For conventionals, my favorite has long been the ETC C-clamps. Never had a single problem with them in two decades of using them. They are easily the most reliable and best to use in my experience. Especially when used on standard Schedule 40 pipe battens. I can't stand C-clamps without a pan nut. Having to loosen the one holding the yoke to the fixture just to pan the fixture is just asking for trouble, especially when used by inexperienced people or students.

Mega Clamps are good for Movers.

Absolutely it's an opinion, and the dude abides. Personally I just like other clamps better. C-clamps are not bad for hanging on black pipe, but doing a mix of of shows, most with truss and some on battens, I would rather just always use mega-couplers that work on both rather that switch clamps all the time. I also find that a properly tightened coupler make focus faster and more accurate than with c-clamps.

McDonalds food is also Garbage, but I still eat it a few times a week.

So I had always thought those Kliegl clamps that took smaller hardware sizes like 1/4" were pretty useless but today I noticed the electrics department was using them on their Birdies.

The only clamps that truly seem useless to me, not just unsafe like DJ clamps, but truly useless, are those Altman Heavy Duty clamps. Seriously, what are they meant to fit?

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 259

Users who are viewing this thread

Back