Lighting fixture truss/pipe clamps- your favorites?

The only clamps that truly seem useless to me, not just unsafe like DJ clamps, but truly useless, are those Altman Heavy Duty clamps. Seriously, what are they meant to fit?
IIRC, they first appeared the same time as the 1KL line. Causation vs. correlation? Draw your own conclusion.

The big Altman clamps work well on the side poles of tents. That's about it.

I presume the Altman clamp in your photo fits two inch pipe, gafftapegreenia. So I'm not sure if these clamps are intended for hanging small automobiles from pipe "Kabuki" style or what... :)

I like the big Altman clamps on my cyc lights. I have 2 clamps for each 3 cell fixture. Makes them easy to hang and slide around for spacing.

Curious as to how they are different in this application then an ETC ?.

In other words expand on what exactly makes these POS Altmans work better then something else.

A respectful thanks as I am actually curious as to your thought process.

Curious as to how they are different in this application then an ETC ?.

In other words expand on what exactly makes these POS Altmans work better then something else.

A respectful thanks as I am actually curious as to your thought process.

They aren't something I would necessarily seek out to purchase, they were already on the cycs when I started working there. Their benefit is the top of the "C" it allows you to just sit a fixture on a pipe and let gravity hold it in place like you would with a mega claw or trigger clamp. I'm not saying it's superior to either of those clamps because it's not. It's not useless though as u/gafftapegreenia suggested.

They aren't something I would necessarily seek out to purchase, they were already on the cycs when I started working there. Their benefit is the top of the "C" it allows you to just sit a fixture on a pipe and let gravity hold it in place like you would with a mega claw or trigger clamp. I'm not saying it's superior to either of those clamps because it's not. It's not useless though as u/gafftapegreenia suggested.

Got it. That overhanging part of the C as part of the design is one of the reasons I hate them. In order to get the clamp off a pipe you have to back off the bolt a huge amount and it takes time. More then with any other iron c-clamp I've used. Thus any that we got on an Altman unit was in the trash pretty quickly.

Another theoretical question regarding your typical one-off production-

Assuming a combination of moving fixtures (fill in the blank of your favorite here___ ), and static profiles are to be hung from rented truss. Do you prefer the wide coupler clamps or the narrow? We're talking 500kg vs 200kg burger style clamps.

Wide or Narrow?

Attachments

• couplers.JPG
    couplers.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 282
Doesn't matter and it's whatever the shop provides.

In general, every fixture, static or ML that I've dealt with - High End, VariLite, or Martin has the clamp located on the fixture so that the choice of clamp - narrow or wide, is not a factor as to fixture spacing - I.E. the width of the clamp is not an issue.

I am a fan of Light Source trigger clamps on everything except lightweight movers such as Auras (fixtures you can easily hold by the top of the yoke), where I prefer a half cheese.

Another theoretical question regarding your typical one-off production-

Assuming a combination of moving fixtures (fill in the blank of your favorite here___ ), and static profiles are to be hung from rented truss. Do you prefer the wide coupler clamps or the narrow? We're talking 500kg vs 200kg burger style clamps.

Wide or Narrow?
Doesn't matter and it's whatever the shop provides.

In general, every fixture, static or ML that I've dealt with - High End, VariLite, or Martin has the clamp located on the fixture so that the choice of clamp - narrow or wide, is not a factor as to fixture spacing - I.E. the width of the clamp is not an issue.
It most certainly IS a factor when hanging on 12" box truss. There are many places on the truss where a moving light simply cannot hang due to the spacing of all the cross-members. I don't recall ever using the "narrow" clamps, and I doubt they would alleviate this situation, but if they did, I'd be all for them. Strongly dislike half-coupler clamps for anything.

Derek, I agree with your concept that - in theory, the 1/2 width clamps *should* give you that little bit of squeeze room, but also find that the shop never provides them, but adding a few to the order might be a good idea, so you end up jamming the fixtures wherever.

For the vast majority of what I hang, I prefer the ancient C-clamps in my inventory. A full third of my C-clamps are significantly older than I am (Can you say Century?) and still in excellent condition. As has been mentioned previously, they're great for conventionals, which comprise the majority of my lights. The key with these is to never over-tighten them. For hanging on truss, I keep a short length of 2" schedule 80 PVC conduit handy so that I can make truss protectors. For hanging the handful of movers I've got, I really have no brand or style preference as long as I, as a crew of one, am able to hang the mover without having to pull someone else away from his job to help me with the heavy lifting.

But, one thing to remember is that those ancient C-clamps aren't rated hardware. And certainly should not be used for anything other than the conventional a they were originally designed for use with.

Steve B -
The half coupler style clamp isn't 1/2 inch wide, it's actually 1 1/8 inches wide and rated at 200 kg, just to clarify.

Attachments

• couplers.JPG
    couplers.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 234
I'm sure it's been talked about, but what about using a mega clamp, which is rated, on a mover? Obviously not great in a space where truss could be involved, but in a theatre where everything is schedule 40..?

I'm not a fan. On a conventional, there is no good way to adjust pan; you have to tighten and loosen the mounting bolt. On a mover, its silly to need a wrench, rather than using a clamp with hand adjustable fasteners. IMO this is the worst of all clamps, period.

Steve B -
The half coupler style clamp isn't 1/2 inch wide, it's actually 1 1/8 inches wide and rated at 200 kg, just to clarify.

From TheLightSource(pretty much the industry standard) a half coupler is rated at 500kg/1100lbs. https://www.thelightsource.com/products/mega-coupler-10

There are lots of clamps available. Look at the selection at the light source, there are lots of types, for lots of applications. I only like a few of them, but other disagree. Use what works for you. @Apollo If this is marketing research....well...never mind. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back