The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Lighting for Footloose, the musical

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by aroth89, Aug 4, 2005.

1. aroth89

aroth89 Member

I was appointed the Lighting Designer for our musical, "Footloose", so anyone who has done it, would you mind passing a few hinters? Also, what time period did you place yours in? Ive heard it can be anything from the 1970's to current day today. We have a 1016 seater theater with about a 50 foot wide opening and 30 foot tall opening to the stage. and its probably about 30-40 feet in length (the stage floor). I'm given, i think, like $4000 for 3-4 weeks, so if anyone has ideas of Intells and/or special effects, or whatever. (PS. I'm renting either a Hog 1000, HogPC2, or HogPC3.)
    Thanks

2. Foxinabox10

Foxinabox10 Active Member

We did it two years ago. At the end there is a dance, so if you can get two or three intels to use for that, that would be good. For our set, they built 4' x 4' x 8' boxes on wheels that had different looks on each side so they would be used for almost every scene. From my recollection we had the following on them: wallpaper for inside the house, bricks for in the alley, something with the saloon, and a sign for the cafe. We used rope lighting to spell out the name of the cafe.

3. erosing

erosing The Royal Renaissance Man

We as well did it two years ago, and if you want I can try and get you some photos of what ours looked like, but I can also answer any of questions you have.

Just let me know.

4. aroth89

aroth89 Member

footloose

Sure Id love to see the pictures. I also intended to get maybe 8 technobeams and maybe 6-8 Studio Spot 575 CMY Zoom's. Maybe some other intells too.

5. erosing

Ok, I'll see if I can get some for you, just have to find them, buried on some cd no doubt. Any specific time you would like them by, of course I will do my best to find them.

6. erosing

One more thing, watch the movie, ALOT, I think I watched it 20 times before I saw our actors perform it. I think it really helped us with planning.

7. Foxinabox10

Foxinabox10 Active Member

Although the movie does help some, some of the plot has been changed and I would watch it only once or twice so that you don't get confused.

8. foeglass

foeglass Member

of course a lot of the lighting decisions will be based on the directors design concept as well so does he/she want anything special in particular. a certain feel. This would help us help you after all.

9. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

Is 4k your budget or your pay?

10. aroth89

aroth89 Member

I wish it was my pay, but its my budget.