Lighting for Footloose, the musical

aroth89

I was appointed the Lighting Designer for our musical, "Footloose", so anyone who has done it, would you mind passing a few hinters? Also, what time period did you place yours in? Ive heard it can be anything from the 1970's to current day today. We have a 1016 seater theater with about a 50 foot wide opening and 30 foot tall opening to the stage. and its probably about 30-40 feet in length (the stage floor). I'm given, i think, like $4000 for 3-4 weeks, so if anyone has ideas of Intells and/or special effects, or whatever. (PS. I'm renting either a Hog 1000, HogPC2, or HogPC3.)
Thanks

We did it two years ago. At the end there is a dance, so if you can get two or three intels to use for that, that would be good. For our set, they built 4' x 4' x 8' boxes on wheels that had different looks on each side so they would be used for almost every scene. From my recollection we had the following on them: wallpaper for inside the house, bricks for in the alley, something with the saloon, and a sign for the cafe. We used rope lighting to spell out the name of the cafe.

We as well did it two years ago, and if you want I can try and get you some photos of what ours looked like, but I can also answer any of questions you have.

Just let me know.

footloose

Sure Id love to see the pictures. I also intended to get maybe 8 technobeams and maybe 6-8 Studio Spot 575 CMY Zoom's. Maybe some other intells too.

Ok, I'll see if I can get some for you, just have to find them, buried on some cd no doubt. Any specific time you would like them by, of course I will do my best to find them.

One more thing, watch the movie, ALOT, I think I watched it 20 times before I saw our actors perform it. I think it really helped us with planning.

Although the movie does help some, some of the plot has been changed and I would watch it only once or twice so that you don't get confused.

of course a lot of the lighting decisions will be based on the directors design concept as well so does he/she want anything special in particular. a certain feel. This would help us help you after all.

Is 4k your budget or your pay?

I wish it was my pay, but its my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back