Design Lighting for rear projection screen

YOUSEF

I was wondering if you have any recommendations on lighting the talent on stage while they are standing 2 ft in front of a 100" rear projections screen. It seems to be a challenge trying to light them while not splashing a lot of ambient light all over the projection screen. So far I have done a fairly good job with minimal front lighting from a high point but still am getting a washout in the upper corners of my screen. Low lighting requires the cameras to have a high gain to have the talent show up on video. Have tried removing the front light and going with dimmable fluorescent barn door’ed side lighting at a 30 deg angle in front of the presenters which worked well for the screen but only to create shadows across the stage between the two presenters and facial shadowing I didn't have before.

So my point is I am looking for ideas on how to light up the stage and the talent without lighting up the screen. I have no room to move the talent forward away from the screen.
Click these links to see the screen with the upper corner washouts. Note the screen seems to be dark but much of that is from the flash from the still camera that took all these pictures. The flash also enhances or worsens the washouts in the upper corners. In reality with the stage lighting and the video cameras the screen is much brighter in its colors than what is shown in the still images. You will want to click on the left side page thumb nails to get the screen images. CC Shoud October 1, 2011 - Shaumbra Photos

CC Shoud May 7, 2011 - Shaumbra Photos

ChannelLibrary > Home

My next idea is to put 4ft 2700K lumen soft tungsten color corrected fluorescent lights with barn doors to direct the light directly down thus shielding it away from the screen directly over the talent and then use the fluorescent side lights that worked well to see if this will eliminate the facial and talent shadowing issue I created.

Yeah, there's a rock and there's a hard place and there's you in between them. Gotta have frontlight, can't have frontlight.

What about using a fixture with a grid in front of it, and extended top barn doors made from foam core or black wrap? Move as close and steep as you can before it looks bad. You may find a pleasant combo of steeper rake and the grid keeping it knocked down from your background, in this case a screen. If your still hitting the screen maybe you can hang a (Duvetyne)"teaser" out in front of the light to do the job. As an example that could be a 1x3 pine stock with the strip of Duvetyne stapled onto it.
Two types of light control device fixtures I'm using right now on set are Kino- Flo's and Chimera. Both come with small(1/2") hard grids and larger(2") soft grids.

Too bad we can't control light rays like Tomotherapy Protons, Stopping our light waves right before they hit that screen in an offending manner.

What about using a fixture with a grid in front of it, and extended top barn doors made from foam core or black wrap? Move as close and steep as you can before it looks bad. You may find a pleasant combo of steeper rake and the grid keeping it knocked down from your background, in this case a screen. If your still hitting the screen maybe you can hang a (Duvetyne)"teaser" out in front of the light to do the job. As an example that could be a 1x3 pine stock with the strip of Duvetyne stapled onto it.
Two types of light control device fixtures I'm using right now on set are Kino- Flo's and Chimera. Both come with small(1/2") hard grids and larger(2") soft grids.

Too bad we can't control light rays like Tomotherapy Protons, Stopping our light waves right before they hit that screen in an offending manner.

Is this is a good time for the light-b-gone to come out?

I've been trying to find a local source for Luma-Suck, but so far I haven't found one.

Yep, I havent seen it either...until then there are some attempts at 'Luma-Limiting' helpers. lol.
One brands tag product is even called: LCD-Light Control Device.

Attachments

• Mood Chimera3.jpg
    Mood Chimera3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Mood Chimera 2.jpg
    Mood Chimera 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 502
  • MoodLight STP  Chimera.jpg
    MoodLight STP Chimera.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 335
I tried hanging a black hole off of LX 3 once, but we couldn't lift it. It didn't help that stage hands kept getting pulled into its gravity well. :)

I have two inadvertent black holes on my stage at church, each about a foot wide. My pastor finds one of them regularly and the other less often. There's also a supermassive black hole right in front of the stage, and he always goes there to pray at the end of his sermon. If there's a black hole, he'll find it.

In general I would
Investigate what is the best RP material to use. I can't tell from the image, but a black RP might help.
Side light is your friend, I would put two fixtures on each side. On directly to the side of the talent. The other a few feet downstate. The idea is to soften the edge from a single unit
After side light, I would add some steep front light. Again positioned/shuttered off the screen
Then I would add just enough front light to fill any face shadows

This will be an exercise in compromise between the image and the face. I think you have to accept that fact

Your images don't look all that bad. My hunch is that the light on the corner of the screens may be due to spill from your fixtures, not badly positioned units

Last edited:
I am surprised that no one suggested just getting a more powerful projector. If you have more kick in your projected image it won't wash out as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back