Lighting Hollow Set Pieces

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
We are trying to light these metal structures covered in Fabric Or Plastic and we are having issues.
The "Modules" Are up to 14 feet by 10 feet. They are 2' "cages" made of 1/2"tubing arranged in geometric shapes.

I wish the scenic designer would let me show you the VWX.

We want to make them glow while preserving a "sterile" look while unlit.

We have currently spec'd 60 of the knock offy-est of knock off led pars.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEZNT74/?tag=controlbooth-20

I know....I feel dirty.

We have been experimenting with construction plastic, which worked, but burns like napalm so cant use it. We got some samples from rosebrand of some of their stretch fabrics but none of them really worked.

Any ideas?

In 2006 a wedding I lit (not my stage design) used a white shear/gauze fabric and had 4, 36" circular columns suspended from hoops and some swags. 50' wide and 30' deep and 19' high. If I remember they had some studio spots and etc S-4 pars with Wybron color scrollers that I used. Unfortunately I did not have the Led pars that are available today. Elation par zooms would have been nice to have as they would allow you to adjust the beam size. Other thoughts may be LED tape on the inside of you pipes. Since light is a reflected value, it's more about what and how it will hit and glow.
spader 2006 003.jpg

If you're backlighting, you can't go wrong with RP screen material from Rosebrand. If you've got the bucks, it's specifically designed for the purpose. Other than that, their Tendo spandex works pretty well, as does poly muslin. Those won't 100% hide the source. I constantly use Coroplast (or other brand) corrugated plastic for backlit panels. It's properties with light are great. I use 4mm "natural." From a few feet you don't perceive the ribs.

I've also had good luck with natural muslin, sized with flex glue and water to fill the weave, then painted with watery paint.

Lastly, what about diffusion gel on a roll? If you're under 4' wide.

Here's my Coroplast rental set for corporate events. "The Magnifient Module."

Image (2).jpg

View attachment 11858

Lastly, what about diffusion gel on a roll? If you're under 4' wide.

Here's my Coroplast rental set for corporate events. "The Magnifient Module."

image-2-jpg.11859

Wow. That looks pretty sweet. Do you have a larger photo?

Have you ever seen gel used?

Other thoughts may be LED tape on the inside of you pipes.

We tried, it wasn't quite bright enough. And the total required was around 800 linear feet.

I wouldn't waste my time with those LED's, I own 2 and they have no punch at all. I would at least spend a little more money and get something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251468354297?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT They aren't amazing but they beat the snot out of the lights you were looking at. And are at least bright enough that you might find other uses for them in the future.

We bought the 2 pack as well. We have been testing them and they seem to have enough punch for this application. It is really the price point that is the alluring part.

I should be able to upload the drafting later today.

Here you go guys. This is the bigger and more complex of the two.

Attachments

• Triangle Module.jpg
    Triangle Module.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 286
Awesome, thanks.

We are pricing options out at the moment and it is looking like any option is going to be crazy expensive. We are really feeling how large these things are. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back