The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Lighting My Scrim

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Oobleck1441, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Oobleck1441

Oobleck1441 Member

Next week I have a group coming in to put on sort of a talent show/an excuse to perform on stage. My no means, i don't mind

Usually for shows they want me to design, i like to use my scrim, and change the whole color of a scene, jsut somthing I prefer
    last time I did this, i lit from the floor with four VERY old pods, I don't want to do this anymore.

But, infront of my scrim I have my third set. If i hang four or five of my lekos, open wide and about four feet above my scrim would it work?
    Has anyone ever done this? or have any suggestions of any other way of "lighting it up" without pods.

Thanks, Oobleck1441

2. DHSLXOP

DHSLXOP Active Member

I'm by no means an expert in this type of thing but still - do you have any fresnels or par cans? In my opinion, they will work better for washing a scrim then lekos would. It seems to me that if you use lekos only 4 feet away, you would just get circles, not an even wash. Again, I'm not an expert, but that is what I would do.

3. Oobleck1441

Oobleck1441 Member

I can see what I can get together.. Your correct.
    I'll have to play around with some things and see

4. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Oobleck1441, first even if it may be a sharkstooth scrim, it sounds as though you want to treat it like a cyc. Second, please explain what pods are. Third, there's no substitute for FarCyc-type fixtures. Before those we used scoops and striplights. See this picture for how ugly 19 PARS can light a cyc, even with MFL lens and silk.
    [​IMG]
    What other fixtures do you have?

5. Oobleck1441

Oobleck1441 Member

Similar to a scoop, and that the effect I get, I kind of prefer it,
    Just becuase i've never really seen how it should be done.
    Plus, I do have some Cyc fixtures.
    It's all going to be experimentation.

6. tweetersaway

tweetersaway Member

Lighting & Sound Supervisor
    I've used S4's to down light a scrim. from a coverage standpoint, it was terrible with the nasty ovals on the scrim, but from an artsy standpoint, it did look kind of cool for music/dance performances. for coverage, fresnels as wide as they go will work, but still, there's no real substitute for proper cyc lights.

7. DarSax

DarSax Active Member

That cyc actually looks pretty cool, Derek. ;)

Also, what are your instrument placement options?

8. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Thanks, it looked pretty good on the Imag screens, which is all I really cared about.
    In my experience, the best way to light a cyc, is Ianiro Irises on 8' centers 8' downstage of the cyc overhead, and Ianiro Orions on the floor on 3' centers 4' downstage, all behind a black scrim.

9. rosebudld

rosebudld Member

Cycs I think are the best to light a scrim, but I've used WFL Par 64s from my first electric on stage to create torches on the cyc curtain.. also scoops, strip lights, etc.

10. BillESC

BillESC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just a little trick I happen upon at the Music Hall doing an oldies show.

If all you have is lekos, pull the lens entirely out of the fixture. You'll end up with quite a broad even wash. Down side is you've lost your gel frame holder. For my application color wasn't needed, but in a pinch you could remove the lenses and keep the fixture intact.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008