Lighting Proposal

We purchased a Telex / RTS dual channels system about 15 years ago, it's been extraordinarily reliable and very convenient in use. 2 channels over 3 pin audio cable. The belt packs are expensive, but very durable. Only issue we've found is that the headset connection is reversed in it's wiring from Clear-Com typical, as well as being a male connector on the headset cable, vs. female with CC, thus adapters are required if you want to use headsets from a CC system.

The RTS is very common in the TV world, as the belt packs are easily configurable for a lot of different functions.

Highly recommended

http://www.rtstw.com/product.php?id=9000673821

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

I usually like using wired. Then a couple of wireless units for maily just setup and rehersal, so the electrican can talk to the ld, and the electrican can go running around the building fixing things so the ld can keep on programming. With our company we went with 4 telex units. They seem to go through batteries quickly sometimes. You also have to make sure they dont walk off on you. But for the booth and backstage that should be wired. We occasionally give the stage manager wireless so she or he can go run around and take care of a problem while being on com.

Have to completely disagree. Do you realize what it's like out there in a typical high school. The are very few schools that have people who even understand basics like don't touch the lamp with your bare fingers. Lighting design is point all the lights at the stage and turn them on. Program a console is an unknown... I stunned the people at a local high school who were using their Express as a two scene preset. I taught them how to program a submaster and they were AMAZED. They weren't sure why they would ever need to program cues. I'm telling you, the vast majority of high school theater would have no idea what to do with a scroller.
If you go back a year or so when Charc first found us he had discovered an I-cue in the back of a store room at his school. Someone had purchased a few years ago but it got shoved in a corner because no one knew what it was or how to use. it. No, unless it's a full performing arts center with a real T.D. the school should focus completely on conventionals.
Not to be a big fish in a little pond, but gafftaper, I am a high schooler who has known how to program both ETC and Strand lighting desks, focus lights, do designs, and change lamps properly (a matter of fact I am the only one left in my high school tech club with that sort of training) since 7th grade, I started tech theater in 5th

Not to be a big fish in a little pond, but gafftaper, I am a high schooler who has known how to program both ETC and Strand lighting desks, focus lights, do designs, and change lamps properly (a matter of fact I am the only one left in my high school tech club with that sort of training) since 7th grade, I started tech theater in 5th
See, but the thing is Lightingguy32, that you just admitted that you are the last one currently with any training. Which is very similar to many HS theatres. Usually tech goes in waves, you have a few years with a good crew, then there is a lull, and then a good crew again. Sometimes that good crew consists of only one person.

While it is really fun for the people who know what they are doing and appreciate having high tech gear to have it, it isn't always the best investment for HS theatre. Sure, updating to new fixtures from 360Qs and 1KLs, Parellipsepheres and such is good, but Gafftaper is right, thing like I-Cues and MLs will sit in a closet until someone who knows what they are stumbles on them.

Many high school theatres, even the ones with students who know what they are doing, don't take the time to keep up with basic maintenance. It usually takes a pyrotechnics show for them to realize that the wiring in a fixture or connector may be bad. Gear collects a lot of dust, and fixtures get cleaned when the principal wants to give a talk in the auditorium and there is just not enough light coming out of them.

I realize that not all high school theatres are like this, and probably most the the high schools represented by CB members don't fall into the extremes of what I have been describing. Everyone wants cool gear, but it is more important in a HS situation to have good working conventional gear.

^ Yes, definitely. ^

If you remember from my incessant ramblings on it a year or so ago, my high school puts on a yearly ridiculousness show with 20+ moving lights, a ridiculous board (hog2, maxxyz, light jockey).

AND YET

In a couple years, it seems that a lot of the tech talent is going to be gone from the school, and they're going to be left with a lot of shoddy equipment and people who won't know how to use the toys.

It's possible that with high-end DMX equipment, you could encourage students to step up to the plate and learn how to use it, but you can't depend on it. Suddenly, you're left with a $3,000 paperweight and a principal who wants more light and isn't going to get it.

--
Also, the service part is very important. The situation of the lights in my high school is deplorable. I knew that when I was in high school, and wanted to fix it, but simply did not have the time to service them. And if we had owned DMX equipment, that would have doubled, tripled, service time that I already didn't have.

Well put it this year, ever since I stepped in our high school auditorium, I have spent each year checking the connectors on all fixtures (old ones) and making sure the new ones (all of the older units are inventory, our new ones were put in last year during a "renovation") stay up to par and are benched properly (strain reliefs, electric contacts, socket quality, clean optics... etc).

Well put it this year, ever since I stepped in our high school auditorium, I have spent each year checking the connectors on all fixtures (old ones) and making sure the new ones (all of the older units are inventory, our new ones were put in last year during a "renovation") stay up to par and are benched properly (strain reliefs, electric contacts, socket quality, clean optics... etc).

And you have time in the day to do homework?

I get swamped over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back