Lighting Rental Prices

SerraAva

Based off of the tangent that I was going down on this thread, I thought I would start a new thread.

Lighting rental prices seem to vary greatly from area to area cost wise. So how much does is cost in your area for a S4 Leko, S4 Par, S4 ParNel, Par 64s, and whatever else you can think of. Also include country and state.

S4 Leko, any degree, with dough nut, gel frame, safety, gobo holder, on a base or with a clamp, and spare lamp: $13 per week

S4 Par, any lens, gel frame, safety, on a base or with a clamp, and spare lamp: $10 per week

S4 ParNel, any lens, gel frame, safety, on a base or with a clamp, and spare lamp: $11 per week

Par 64, any lens, gel frame, safety, on a base or with a clamp, and spare lamp: $5 per week

This is in Southern New Jersey, just south of Philadelphia.

I will add consoles, movers, and dimmers if interested. I want to see how different rental prices are area to area. I know when I did a show in Tampa and the same show a couple weeks later in Phoenix, it was cheaper for me to have white drape over nighted from Tampa to Phoenix and back again then rent it in Phoenix. This is why I want to start this thread, as I am doing more and more travel work and want to know if it will be cheaper to travel with gear or outsource based on location. Hopefully others can use this thread as well so they don't get gouged on prices.

I would love to answer your question, but for me its impossible to answer. The price for an instrument changes with every show I do. Based on how much I rent and for how long it can fluctuate up to 40%. When i do show, usually I do a lump sum number not itemized breakdown. For example if you rent enough on a gig for enough days to get you a better discount they might charge you full rate on some gear but give you a free grand MA it just depends.

Not the answer you were looking for sorry.
JH

Thanks Jon for your response. I have the same thing as well in my area. In general when thorwing numbers around, these are the numbers I use. The more I get, the cheaper things become. Also, the more buisness I bring to the table with a company, the more they are willing to price match or beat other companies. The companies I am talking about are local shops, with only a warehouse/s in my area and that's it. Some times the bigger companies win, some times they lose to mom and pop.

Lekos: $25 a week, +/-

250 watt moving light, $75 - $100, depending on how new it is. A Studiospot is cheaper than an Entour.

575 watts are about $150.

Hog III goes for about $300 - 400 a week.

LED pars are about $55 - $60.

S4 - 12.50
S4 PAR - 12.00
S4 PARnel - 14.00
PAR38 - 5.00
PAR46 - 6.00
PAR64 - 10.00
ACL bar - 35.00
36 Luxeon LED par - 50.00
MAC 250/MAC 300 - 100.00
MAC 500 - 150.00
MAC 600 - 125.00

However, some discount is almost always garunteed. The lump sum idea is how all rentals that I've done work - the more you're renting, the more stuff you can get "free". Big PAR rig? Sure we'll throw in a pair of ACL bars and some cable for 'em.

CRAP! I'm moving. Are you ready for this? All accessories are included, including plenty of spare lamps and you get a 25' cable credit for every instrument you rent so essentially you can have all the cable you want for free.

S4 19-50 degree $28 1st week
S4 5 degree $40 1st week
S4 10 degree $34 1st week
S4 PAR with 1 lens $16 1st week
Par 38 $8.80 1st week
Par 56 $11.20 1st week
PAR 64 $12.80 1st week
MAC 500 E Spot $250 1st DAY, $500 1st week
MAC 600 NT Wash $220 1st DAY, $440 1st week
The coolest moving light board they have:
Zero 88 Fat Frog 24/48 $150 1st Day, $300 1st week
Express 24/48 $135 1st day, $270 1st week.

They don't have LED PARS for rent yet.
Need I continue? Send me a P.M. if you feel pity and would like to contribute to my rental fund.

EDIT: They are good people and I don't want to blow them up but if you don't believe me send me a PM and I'll send you the link.
OH how about $6 for a 25 watt music stand light for the first week.

Last edited:
Wow gaff, that must make budgeting hard. Here are some console and mover prices:

Studio Spot 250: $90/week
Studio Spot 575: $150/week
Mac 700: $175/week
Mac 2k Performance: $200/week
Hog 1K: $300/week
Hog II: $500/week
Hog IPC or Road Hog: $500/week
Grand MA: $600/week

There are multi week discounts as well. Also have access to a full range of VL stuff too.

Wow gaff, that must make budgeting hard.

It's not that bad... I just don't ever rent anything. This thread has me thinking about looking into renting from a national dealer who will ship it here in the future. Could possibly save a bunch of money that way. Also need to check with some of the smaller companies in the area. Although with the new inventory I won't need to rent very often. YES! :mrgreen:

CRAP! I'm moving. Are you ready for this? All accessories are included, including plenty of spare lamps and you get a 25' cable credit for every instrument you rent so essentially you can have all the cable you want for free.
Need I continue? Send me a P.M. if you feel pity and would like to contribute to my rental fund.

Free cable is good. Never heard of a "25' cable credit" with every conventional fixture. I believe we used to charge $0.10/ft./week for stage pin cable in the '80s. How many lighting rental shops in your area? And do you know how to "beat them up" against one another, (within reason, of course, everyone should be allowed to make a profit). Perhaps the key lies in the fact that you say later "...which is why I never rent anything." The more you rent, the less expensive it becomes. Every summer in Cleveland we would rent 30-40 360s for 12 weeks, and Production Arts always won the bid. Less expensive than anyone local even including the shipping. Just about every show corporate show coming into my building is put out to bid. Thus the same show in different years has been supplied by, in no order: PRG, 4Wall, Christie Lites (Dallas), and ELS. With your new theatre you shouldn't have to rent anything, unless very specialized, but for the high school or college that needs just a few S4s for one show, the local company is probably best, and sorry to say in many cities there is only one local company, which is able to charge whatever it wants, that is until Stella Lights goes national!;)

Try renting a SourceFour in a Las Vegas Hotel's Ballroom from the AV Dept. Approx. $50 per fixture and two-hour minimum labor call at $75 per hour per 6 lights to hang and focus. Many places will charge a "Convenience fee" if you try to bing in your own equipment, as it must plug into the hotel's power. And $1000/400amp service is not uncommon, per day!

Last edited:
I have had that happen to me before in hotel's derekleffew. NEVER, EVER, forget to bring gear to hotel's anywhere. I now go through my lighting personally each and ever pack because of this. $50 for per S4 Par and $75 for a 6 channel Leprecon dimmer pack is completely insane. And house AV wonders why they don't get the job.

Source 4: $10-15/day $15-25/wk
Source 4 PAR $10/day $15/wk
PAR 64 $8/day $10/wk
S4 Revolution $200/day $300/wk
MAC 700 Profile $250/day $350/wk
12 Ch Sensor Pack $75/day $150/wk
24 Ch Sensor Pack $175/day $325/wk
ETC Express 72/144 $200/day $400/wk
ETC Expression 1 $200/day $400/wk
ETC Expression 3 / 800 $300/day $600/wk
ETC Emphasis 3D 1000 $1000/wk

STL
Sacramento, CA, United States

Last edited:
yikes, all those board prices are sky high! I had to rent an express for a week for a show (a 24/48 I think?) and its was $140 for a week! A hog is typically under $200 a week. Those are chi rates though, the STL ones are outrageous, which I guess will soon be a goo thing for me eh?

For me, an Express 125 is $125/week. A 48/96 is $175/week last time I rented one I believe. An Expression 3 is $300/week.

As far as dimmers go:
6 channel Leprecon packs $30/week
Elation's 640B $22/week
Sensor 12 $150/week
Sensor 48 $375/week

I must be getting old. I used to rent Pars for $ 2.00 a week and lekos for $ 3.00 a week. Cable was a penny a foot.

For me, an Express 125 is $125/week. A 48/96 is $175/week last time I rented one I believe. An Expression 3 is $300/week.
As far as dimmers go:
6 channel Leprecon packs $30/week
Elation's 640B $22/week
Sensor 12 $150/week
Sensor 48 $375/week

Yeah, but are we not in the NYC Metro area ?. Lot's of shops here competing for business.

What kills me is that while the gear is cheap, we pay a bloody fortune for shipping. $350 shipping EA. WAY to central Brooklyn, for a $500 rental.

Mostly that's a result of all the shops I trust are now out in Jersey.

Steve B.

That's insane for shipping. It's generally $50 one way, or $40 with Rentex, who just seems to completely blow everyone's prices out of the water. They are about 40 minutes or so away from my shop in Philly.

In toronto shipping is $200

Hey Jon, Let's get together. You can order some stuff from my theater supplier and I'll pay your shipping rates... together we can get screwed out of 10 times the money these other guys are paying. :wall:

Sounds good to me.
I actually get good rental rates :)

But yah shipping sucks. Though some times its cheeper to ship back unused gear then it is to have it sit there for the gig though.

JH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back