Lighting Software

lighttechie5948

Hey Dudes and Dudettes,
I am the Lighting Designer at My School and I needed to make a Channel Hookup. I wanted to use the free version of Lightwrite but i had a couple of lightis over the limit. I ended up using MS Access instead. I was wondering if there is any alternative to MS Access of paying for the version of Lightwrite. Or if anyone has a free verision Lightwrite with more than a maximum of 100 lights.

Thank You,
Joseph Naftal
Lighting Designer

Hey Dudes and Dudettes,
I am the Lighting Designer at My School and I needed to make a Channel Hookup. I wanted to use the free version of Lightwrite but i had a couple of lightis over the limit. I ended up using MS Access instead. I was wondering if there is any alternative to MS Access of paying for the version of Lightwrite. Or if anyone has a free verision Lightwrite with more than a maximum of 100 lights.
Thank You,
Joseph Naftal
Lighting Designer

First rule of lighting, DONT piss off John McKernon by attempting to steal his software. If you want to get the full version you can pick up a student version for about a hundred bucks. Otherwise, use excel like everyone else does.

Many people have tried to steal from John McKernon and you could proberbly do it but, you wouldn't have any arms anymore when he discovers what you have done. and trust me he will find out, you thought god was powerfull ha!

Lightwright is the industry standard and you can buy a student version for $100 at Production Advantage. Here's the limitations for a Student version (from the LW website), which my understnding is that other then a time limit, is fully functional:

"Student licenses are available only to a bona-fide full-time student (with appropriate photo student ID) for a period of time limited to 3 years from the date the approval code is issued, and are limited to one concurrent user. License must be in the name of the student, who must be able to produce proof of student status when requested. After the three-year license has expired, the software will cease to function. Student licenses cannot be upgraded to Lightwright 5 or beyond without first being upgraded to an Individual license. Capacities and features are identical to the Individual License. Limited to one concurrent user at any time. Student licenses cannot be issued to faculty, staff, or anyone else who is not a full-time student."

As such it's a steal, as I believe the upgrade cost in 3 years is not as expensive as buying new.

Should you opt for the student version, it becomes a marketable commodity for you. I would also state that as it's the best software at what it does, getting good at it now will help your career - assuming you decide to continue with lighting design.

I would also highly recommend Vectorworks Spotlight as the companion CAD program, for the same reasons.

SB

As of yet, I have not had extensive time working with Lightwrite. I'm sure that it is a very streamlined, very effective paperwork generator for the entertainment industry. However, for me, as I generate plots almost exclusively with a CAD pogram, Vectorworks, I find it much simpler to use the built in paperwork generator supplied by Vectorworks. 'Professional' lighting designers, as in those who have the money and time to invest in two seperate progams should take advantage of the better and more capable software, but for up and comming designers like myself and our poster, I would recommend and all inclusive software that gives a good solid background in CAD lighting plots, paperwork generation, and a beginning of 3D rendering. Eventually, we would all like to be running WIG and Lightwrite concurently, but not all of us are that fortunate. My advice is to keep it simple and cohesive.

However, for me, as I generate plots almost exclusively with a CAD pogram, Vectorworks, I find it much simpler to use the built in paperwork generator supplied by Vectorworks.

Vectorworks makes it very easy to export data into lightwrite. You can simply go to file:export:export instrument data and then click on the lightwrite button. It makes a text file that you can import into lightwrite and have everything there.

What Credentials do I need to purchase the Student Version of Lightwrite. "Student ID"? What Kind?

Depends on who you bought it from. Usually they will want a student ID and a copy of your current schedule or bill receipt or something of that sort to prove that you still are a student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back