Lighting Strategy 3/4 with Seachangers

12/3 SO or better? (For stage use.)

The cables in question are not SO but I'm using them to power Seachangers which can't draw more than half an amp at best. My strategy is you keep the fancy electronic stuff that draws low amperage and doesn't like to be on a dimmed ciricuit on Edison plugs. If anything has a high amperage draw you put a stage pin connector on it. That makes it REALLY hard to screw up.

I finally got all the Seachangers running tonight. It was amazing to see them. While the fuller saturated colors are pretty good, I'm most excited about how well they duplicate the lighter saturation colors. Combined with the gel book inventory in my Strand console, you click a button and boom you've got R51, R02, R33... all those lighter colors look great. (Even Derek's favorite: Chocolate).

Only negative so far is that they are a bit of a pain to manipulate in the yoke. I purchased the optional yoke extensions which are really a must... the longer instrument means you are extremely limited in how much you can move a standard yoke. Unfortunately even with the longer yoke there still are some issues with positioning. Nothing impossible to live with, just things to make your life a little more difficult.

...R51, R02, R33... all those lighter colors look great...
Sure but can it do LEE colors? What if I want 842?

...Even Derek's favorite: Chocolate)...
So tell us the DMX values for CMY-G for Lux99, in case I ever am asked to mix Chocolate from a MAC2000 WashXB.

(BTW, I don't believe in "color pickers." I'd rather mix them myself, as I'm usually more accurate.)

Dang you guys are a tough crowd! The booth server goes wacky and everyone gets grumpy. :rolleyes:

You are right that the color pickers are not an exact science... especially since it's Strand's interpretation of a Seachanger doing a Rosco/Apollo/Lee/Gam color. That's a lot of layers of emulation. However like I said the lighter saturation colors seem to be REALLY good. When you get into the darker colors it doesn't work so well. Some of them are just plain wrong or non-existant. But that's not really what the Seachanger is designed for anyway.

Set up your basic 02/60 wash with Chocolate Sechanger down light. Perfect baby! :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back