Lighting Supplies

<Sweetwater has both, and free shipping on almost everything(freight and some special orders excepted)
http://www.sweetwater.com/>

AND They are in Fort Wayne Indiana, just down the street from Apollo!

(And most people thought Indiana was only known for Indy cars and corn....)

:)

(Sorry so late posting this- I got smoked at work yesterday and couldn't drop in to the Controlbooth 'til this morning.)

Last edited:
So here's what I am looking for - and no luck so far unless I want to buy 5 - 10 cases of it, which I don't:

Intertape AC36 duct tape. Must be EXACTLY that. Nothing else. Black only. 96 mm. wide.

If you've got a source, please let me know.

Unfortunately,
"Minimum Order :
60 Roll"

Why that specific tape, if you don't mind me asking?

Contact me off line, I'll send you to a few sources to check into. I have any number of tape suppliers, cutters and distributers that I shop from locally that would jump thru hoops to get another account and sale. Just had to today tell another distributer that had the novel approach of sending suckers - real suckers even if bad in a PC concept way, that inspite of his candy, I couldn't even begin to consider buying from him given his starting prices and that I already had four or five other companies lined up to supply me and a manufacturer for tape also as a direct supplier. It's just unlikely that unless something happens that I'll need another supplier even if you stock some small theater down the road and thus think you understand my needs best. Third call by him and each time he mentions that little thater down the road... ah' the life of a sales person.

None the less, not familiar with the tape you look for but I'll send you my contact list off line with those that make it their business to know tape in vendor rep local to our area I'm aware of.

So here's what I am looking for - and no luck so far unless I want to buy 5 - 10 cases of it, which I don't:
Intertape AC36 duct tape. Must be EXACTLY that. Nothing else. Black only. 96 mm. wide.
If you've got a source, please let me know.

I tried hillas and one other place. No sale under 5 or 10 cases. More than I'll use in years and it will be dried up before then.

Why that tape? Because it has the right adhesive that sticks to everything, carpet, concrete, wood, etc., and it doesn't leave a residue. I have to tape over doorways a lot and that is really the best stuff to use. Plus, I can get it in up to 8" wide. I'd use cable protectors, but sometimes even they don't fit the application. Gaff tape doesn't work as consistently. I've tried numerous brands. This is the ONLY one I've found that is satisfactory. The trouble is my source has dried up and I need some in like 2 weeks.

I even called Intertape and they gave me some local names that sell their products (man store, McMaster Carr, Allied Packing, etc.), but it was too late to contact them Friday so Monday pm it is.

Ship, I'll call you Monday pm. Maybe you've got a line on something. Thanks

Len, I am not trying to give you advice, because you know what works for you and that is great. When I tape cables down, I learned a trick at a hotel/convention center a few years ago and it works great. You are right, gaff tape sucks for taping down cables. Carpet tape is great, but it leaves your cables with a heavy residue of gunk and crap.

I will lay out my cables and run a piece of 2" gaff tape to the carpet/floor/whatever. I will then use carpet tape (many places will have this in a similar color to the carpet) that is 4-5" to cover the gaff tape. My cables are protected, and the whole thing is secured to the floor.

The two tapes stick together and come up as one piece, so striking them is easy as well. I do not tape down the entire runs, but across doorways, etc... as needed.

I've heard of doing that, but it seems like 2x the work, and 2x the supplies. That's why I want this stuff. Also, I have runs of 20 - 50 feet right through the crowd, so I need something really dependable, but still low profile. A 4" - 8" single run of this stuff is ideal. And if you get it started at one end and put weight on it, one person can pull the entire run and tape it very quickly. It's not for everything, but where I use it, it's the best there is. Believe me, once you try this stuff, you don't want anything else.

Yes, but in the corporate venues (ballrooms, convention centers, etc...) you can't use duct tape, just carpet and gaff tape. I agree that it is more supplies and time, but it is what has to be done to do the job right.

Perhaps they'll stop you from using the hardware store silver stuff, but not this. I use it at the Hyatts, the Sheratons, you name it.

To be honest, most people call any black tape "gaff" tape, so any hotel person would never know the difference. Most of the ones that I have been in, however, have rules that only carpet and non-residue gaff tape may be used on carpet, and non-residue gaff on hard floors (tile, concrete, etc...).

I have never seen a duct tape that actually sticks and does not leave a residue, so I will keep my eyes open for this stuff.

I have high respect for anyone that specifies a tape that is absolute best in having tried all else. This for me I have also done. While I have never come across a similar situation as he has, I have no doubts of his choice in doing this choice in tape.

Back a few weeks ago I ordered a few cases of 4"and 6" custom order fluorescent bumblebee tape for laying out cables out of RoseBrand as a supplier. Even SurTape that owns ProGaff that sells the stuff couldn't help in this custom order of bumble bee tape without writing on it. Other suppliers also just couldn't help with this what I have ordered in the past order. They make it, couldn't sell it, other suppliers understood what I wanted, couldn't get it. Messed with my various tape distributers for a while in attempting to get it, finally went back to the origional retailer for it in paying the price for those that know what they are doing. At times a sales person that knows what the heck he is doing is worth any price.

Below in tape is who I have contacted recently or know of and might be of help. As off line, a call monday at work would be a real pleasure to take in otherwise a really crappy day TBA for some specific un-mentioned reasons. I can forward this request to my own suppliers if it helps. Got this totally hot 3M rep, and or many other tape cutters and distributers that would put all effort into helping. Not listed is the "sucker" supplier - have not added him to my weblinks yet. Even McMaster of recent supplied me what what I would by mistake sware was gaff tape given my buying fluorescent yellow duct tape without a gloss. This much less, you contact them on-line and they really are helpful in getting anything you might ask for. Broken record I'm sure but they really do stand out as a supplier.

For suppliers otherwise to contact:
Able Tape & Packaging LLC (tape dist.) 727-789-9653
Duct Tape .com (Tape Dist.) http://www.duct-tape.com/
Gene Goodwille Inc. (Tape Distributer) (708)345-3339
Intertape Polymer Group (Tape Mfr.) www.intertapepolymer.com
J.V. Converting Co. (Tape Dist.) Www.jvconverting.com Www.gaffers-tape.com
Kajo Company (Tape Dist.) Www.kajoco.com
Permacel (Tape Mfr.) www.permacel.com
Pro Tapes and Specialties (Tape Mfr..) www.protapes.com
Manuli / Nashua / Polyken / Raychem / National / Patco - Tyco Adhesives (Tape Mfr.) Www.tycoadhesives.com
SCAPA Inc. (Tape Mfr.) Www.scapana.com
Shufford Mills - Shure tape (Tape Mfr./Distributer) www.shurtape.com
Spectape (Sure Tape Distributer) http://www.spectape.com/
3M (Tape Mfr.) http://www.3m.com/
Tape Monster (Tape Dist.) http://www.tapemonster.com/
United Tape co. (Gaff Tape/Duct Tape etc Mfr.) http://www.unitedtape.com/Home.html
Viadon LLC (Tape Distributer) http://www.viadon.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back