Design Lighting the Rag

atb3185

I am planning on using a glass colorizer gobo with a 70 deg. source four to throw an interesting splash on our curtain before the show and during intermission. I am planning on hanging the fixture at the far right side of the catwalk that we hang our face light on shooting across the curtain.

Is there anything that I should be concerned about when I do this?
Will this look strage with only one fixture instead of two?
What have some of you done to get an interesting look on a solid piece of fabric?

Notes:
I would just test it out but I am renting the fixture.
The curtain is that classic bright red "theater rug" color.

Well first of all, is this a "traditional" front curtain with fullness (ripples in the curtain)? Or is it more like a show curtain which is just flat. If it's a traditional rag with fullness, then using only one instrument will result in some weird shadows on the non-lit side of the folds.

If it was a flat show drop, then it's better, but there are still issues. Since the hottest part of the beam is at the center, you would have some strange changes in intensity. A bright spot on center with the light lessening around the edges looks fine, but with the light coming in at an angle the intensity changes will be unusual. This may or may not be acceptable for your show, and it may or may not be very noticeable depending on a number of things.

Or, since you are renting, just get one 90˚ and hang it center.

Odd? Maybe. But I don't think everything has to be symmetrical. IMO, it depends on the rest of the decor of the venue, the type of productions you do, the specific production, etc.

If you're unsure, try it out with what you have on hand.

One thing my theater has done in the past is to dedicate a special for the curtain warmer and put a cool gobo in it. We usually host a drama festival every year and we have a gobo that throws the tragedy/comedy masks up on the curtain. It is simple and looks great. I would say that is a good rule of thumb for a curtain warmer - don't distract the audience with it, just keep the curtain from looking lifeless.

I agree that it may look a bit odd between it being on a full curtain and the keystone spread. But that may be what you are going for to support the theme of the show.

Just keep in mind: the wider the lens angle, the less overall intensity of the light.

[edit:] Unless, your catwalk is relatively close to the curtain, in which case this makes for an interesting streak across it. A PAR used in this fashion can bring interest to a drape.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back