lighting training

There is a good school im melbourne called Carey Baptist School you might want to try it but i think they already have a lighting tech,
if you really want to do lighting join a amatur theatre company

p.s charlie says "tell him its very hard to get Lighting training until hes atleast 19.. his best chance is to keep working at carey"

I have no clue at to where to go for any services in Australia, but you might want to clarify what exacly you are looking for in terms of training. Do you want a weekend class, or do you want 6 months of hands on work, or a 4 year degree?

I second what Footer said. If you can tell me what type of training you want, then I can point you in the right direction. Also a rough inidcation of your age might be of help (or a post in the new members board).

Or perhaps we (I) should collate soem information and do a training available downunder sort of post?

To start, try out some demo CAD programs like lightwright (paper work) and Soft Plot 8 by crescit (plot). Offline editors are a great way to learn how to use a lighting board from your computer with out having to do things; also it allows you to edit and update shows with out having to be in the theater 24/7. More importantly try to find a volunteer job at a near by theater. The best way to gain experience is to work with professionals.

I agree with the other posts.. you may want to decide on a more focused area of interest. Do you want training in Lighting? Training in Sound? Training in Staging? How old are you? What do you know? What have you done before? When we know that sort of stuff, we may be able to collaborate and point you in the right direction.

I started off at school, and then emailed an amature theatre group basically saying "i'm interested in lighting, do you need a hand". They needed a follow spot op, so at age 11 I went and did a pantomime for 6000 people. They were happy with me, I learnt alot, and before I knew it I was programming for touring shows. So if you want to learn, join a theatre group, or do some work experience at a theatre. As LightingGuy32 says, the best way to learn is to work with professionals.

In some cases, its not what you know, but who you know. Know the right people, and you can learn and be trained in anything.

Good luck, and dont hesitate to ask more questions! :p

As LightingGuy32 says, the best way to learn is to work with professionals.

In some cases, its not what you know, but who you know. Know the right people, and you can learn and be trained in anything.

I definitely second that. Sometimes.

I agree with the other posts.. you may want to decide on a more focused area of interest. Do you want training in Lighting? Training in Sound? Training in Staging? How old are you? What do you know? What have you done before? When we know that sort of stuff, we may be able to collaborate and point you in the right direction.

Um, please don't take this the wrong way, but the topic name is lighting training...

its not what you know, but who you know.

Do not underestimate the power of the right contacts. This industry in particular is ALL ABOUT networking...

Ahaha sorry guys. God, I am pretty thick sometimes. I had a long day at work alright! Haha sorry about that. Right, ignore when I asked about what type of training you wanted to do!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back