Lighting up the night sky

VL5

Hello, Today I was asked to do a light show to music for a block party and The idea is good but not sure if ill have the military here. The person wants me to shine lights up into the sky for the light show and i said im not sure if it legal so i did not say yes to the gig but I live in the USA do you guys know anything about this?????thanks

I'm not sure who you would need to contact, but I would start with your local FSDO.
Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

I've seen many notices to airmen about lights in the sky, so presumably this is something their familiar with, and at the very least the FAA would be able to point you in the right direction.

Warning: You haven't seen government bureaucracy until you've dealt with the FAA.

And let me know what everyone ends up saying, I'm curious about this one.

Last edited:
Zac850 has a good place to start, you also may need local permits for things like light pollution and stuff of that nature. The best place to start is the FSDO and also your local Town Hall. I can definitely see the FAA needing warning for aircraft just incase so you don't blind pilots with the beams or something of that nature.

What kind of lights are you using, unless your using actuall searchlights I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Last edited:
im planning on using VL5B's and some par 46's not too much power

Oh, don't worry about it at all. Turn your lights on and point them up, and enjoy your gig.

Also, why are you pointing PAR46s and VL5s in the air? I don't think they'll show up that well unless its a really humid night.

Yes be worried and don't do it without a permit, FAA etc. clearance. Can no doubt easily be done and the local promotor and no doubt local rep's can speed it in doing so - after all, auto dealers do it all the time with search lights still, this if not lit baloons etc.

Had this dream in the old theater of taking that 3Kw incandescent Kliegl Dyna Beam up to the roof and using it as a search light. One of our board members also was a local city console person and warned us about such a thing. Local cops and FAA types would be visiting soon this given it was Chicago none the less.

In prior planning one can easiy get permit and or permission to do what you want within reason, and for a PAR 46 it ain't bright enough to do anything, but still best to follow proper procedure. You want your show best ever, not under last minute problems when the guests arrive as would happen. This showing up or not or the output of the PAR 46 - the PAR 46 perhaps a problem in not being bright enough, but the VL-5's perhaps I would make it known and ask for permission and or permit.

Agreed, ain't gonna do nothing but could get some complaints from FAA or locals you want to ensure isn't a problem beforehand.

My first thought turned to zac850's question, what exactly are you going to light? Light traveling through air is invisible unless it hits something. As he pointed out, humidity works, if there are enough water molecules in the air to reflect the light. If you're lucky you'll have low cloud cover. You might plan on putting a smoke machine or hazer somewhere upwind to put particles of smoke in the air, but then you become slave to the air currents. To get any height on your beams the smoke source might have to be quite a distance away.

As everyone else said, it probably won't be visable, that's what hazers and smoke machines do, make the beams visable, and if there is any wind around, the smoke and haze will just disapear, see this thread: Haze Outdoor Stage
I would use your fixtures on the stage, as they probably won't give you the effect you are looking for.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back