Lighting Variation

Foxinabox10

I want to use some sort of gel or other material in my fresnels in order to make their wash a little more random and less perfect. I need some sort of amber or yellow that has some randomness and a blue/gray.

burnt out gel? stick/staple different shades of gel together? I use profiles with breakup gobos.

Radman said:
For one show I actually just scribbled on gels with permanent markers and I was happy with the effect, though it was mor subtle than obvious.

That still applies.

Fresnels don't take gobos though, plus they're really expensive.

If I understand the desired effect you're after, take a gel frame and load the gel color you want and overlay it with a frame filled with aluminum foil that has random cuts and holes in it.

Foxinabox10 said:
Fresnels don't take gobos though, plus they're really expensive.

Whoops missed the fresnel part. :)

I'm not looking for random amounts of light Bill, but more random variation in the intensity and color.

Radman said:
Radman said:
For one show I actually just scribbled on gels with permanent markers and I was happy with the effect, though it was mor subtle than obvious.

That still applies.

Whoops edited that post instead of quoting it.

Due to the nature of a fresnels output I believe you'll achieve the desired effect with my approach and a little trial & error.

For more than one color try overlaying multiple fixtures with the same technique applied.

Light is a funny thing. One of the most important things i have learned is how to be tricky. Yes, you should try overlaying different lights from differnt postions with differnt colors. But i would first look at why you are using a fresnel instead of an ERS (budgetary i understand). but i thnk what you might want to try to do is make a random split gel- take some burned out R02, and and cut shapes out of or from it . . . add in some neutral density, some blues in the holes that you've cut out. Don't try to make it perfect, it will drive you nuts. once framed, put a cut of R119 in front of it (so that the light passes from the lense to the split gel to the silk to the stage). It adds a nice soft edges to the colors, making them blend together.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to acheive with this?

This is just general scene lighting and I wanted to make it varied and not look so perfect. Would light diffusion work as well as the silk? I have some of that lying around.

R119 actually is a diffusion . . . i jsut call them all silk . . . quicker to say and type . . . but i recomend 119 because of how soft it makes light, and how well things will blend together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back