Lighting w/ Scoops

TupeloTechie

I am working an a show at a rather different venue than I'm used to,(44' opening, 20' Trim, 25' depth) The lighting is very minimum, F.O.H. Consists of 8 Par 64s, 1st has 8 6" Fresnels, 2nd has 4 6" Fresnels. There is also access to 2 3.5Qs (for specials) and 6 14"scoop lights.

The Director is the play is wanting to have color changes between warm and cool, an amber and a blue. However, the lighting can only really be one color to be able to still cover all the area she wants covered in every scene.

My idea was to gel all the lights, (pars and fresnels) a neutral color and then spread the scoops out evenly, geling one set blue and one amber, 3 of each color, then using these to switch between cool and warm lighting looks.

My question is will this create the effect I am wanting, and is there any neutral color that is leaning toward the warmer side, it seems like all the neutrals are of a lavender or blueish tint.

Sounds like that's about all you can do, and a creative one at that! R02 light bastard amber is a really good nuetral warm that you could throw a pretty saturated blue at and overwhelm with 6 scoops.

My question is will this create the effect I am wanting, and is there any neutral color that is leaning toward the warmer side, it seems like all the neutrals are of a lavender or blueish tint.

I've had good results using R99 Chocolate as a neutral with either R02 or R03 ambers. It's got it's own issues, but it's definitely not blue or lavender.

I second the R99. It would be a little kinder than R02. Otherwise, sounds like the scoops should work.

What kind of hot/cold gel are you looking at for the scoops? Fully saturated, somewhere mid-range or just tints? My vote would be for a mid-range saturation.

I second the mid-range saturation. Really pay attention to how bright your scoops are and how they wash the stage. Then, check those little percentages to be sure you're not picking two colors with very different transparencies--it'll cut down on output. Unless, of course, this is what you want.

I've used R83 as a blue on some scoops before for top washes. For those particular cases and instruments, it worked fine. Don't know what else to tell you. The ideas sound fine and like the most you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back