Lightning - What do you prefer?

How do you do lightning..?

• Total voters

adude23

Just wondering what people prefer here. . .
-Strobes-
or
-Profiles with lightning gobo's just running to an FX pattern-

I personally prefer the second option but i want to know what you guys think and whether you use any other options?

I prefer several strobes in different locations, and programmed so they are offset from each other.

However, I personally hate the Data Flash because, in the past when I've used it, it was not reliable at all.

I'm with Erwin, all about the Data Flash. Super realistic when programed properly. The ability to pace the lightning effect to match the accompanying sound cue is unmatched. As for unreliability I've found that they had problems only when they are left powered up for too long. My solution was to plug the instrument power into a non-dim controlled by my lighting console, this way I can turn on the instrument only just before I need to fire it, and can then turn it off again until it is next used. Used in this way I have never had it fail to fire correctly.

Last edited:
I prefer S4 Pars with Narrow Lenses kind of in a full wrap around the stage, single circuited of course. I've used strobes i feel I have more control with the Pars however. Color with L201 for color correction I think they work very well.

Profiles with 201 filter and if needed pre-heated audience blinders / assymetric floods above the audience with 201 filter ran over some channels to add some fx

Atomic3000. All the way.

Mike

Normally we'll select a nice lightning bolt gobo and put it into one of our Legend 2000's. The intelligent light has a strobe feature that we can use to some selected sound FX and it makes for some pretty convincing lightning.

I voted for "other" before I realized you asked about "lightNing" instead of "lighting."

If I could, I'd go with strobes. Atomics. They have a lightNing macro in them that is pretty cool.

I like the idea of just replacing one of a moving head's gobo's with a lighting bolt. . Just to have a couple of heads with those in would be excellent and quick just using a random strobe feature. .

Ya know... for me it depends upon the effect I am trying to achieve....

Sometimes I want to see the actual lightning. If so, I might use a source four with a pattern and possibly a strobe cap in it instead of the regular end cap.

Othertimes, I just want to see the flash - coming through a window or something along those lines. If that's the case, any wash fixture with appropriate gel does just fine.

sometimes I will do strobes, but not that often.

I used Atomic3000's for my last show, and they worked pretty well. Programming took some time to get used to though, mainly because of all of the different options they have preprogrammed into it as well as the different settings for the timing of the flashes. It loses points for ease-of-use, particularly for the people (like me) who jump right in to the most complicated setting for it and say, "That'll be easy; more options means better control, and better control means I might like the effect more." It gains points back though for versatility.

In fairness though, it does have really simple settings that make for great ease-of-use, however us technically-oriented people sometimes have problems settling for that. We tend to be the same people that assemble furniture without glancing at the instructions until we realize that we built it better and more efficiently, using fewer parts than the instructions say we're supposed to use.

Well, seeing as Derek beat me to the LightningStrikes, I'd say it always depends upon the show and the look. I will say I have seen some very realistic chase effects done with PAR's to simulate lightning - so you don't always need a strobe.

Lightning Strikes are the best. And if you stand close enough to them when they go off your hair will stand up...just like real lightning!!!:grin:

lol.
I actually didnt see the "n" in "lightning," and thought it was talking about lighting. Long story short, I was confused as to why anyone would light a stage with just strobes, so I chose the profiles option. In real life though, I use strobes.

For those tired of hearing stories about my job shadow day at Cirque: Ka move along to the next post...

So there I was down in sub basement #2 of the Ka theater. Super cool rotating flying stage deck is way up there above my head. People are performing doing crazy stuff 50 feet above me. My guide, the deck electrician, turns to me and says, "Don't look up." Well by now you all know I'm not that smart so you know what I did... Just in time to get hit by 4 or 5 Lightning Strikes pointed straight down at me. At least I think they were Lightning Strikes. You can probably still see the logo burned on the back side of my retinas.

Later on when the Pyro guy said, "You can watch this but you might regret it," I listened.

Whatever happened to the old school method of using random stage lights and bump buttons?:stumped::angryoldman:
Now you are talking my language! For our last show "Night of the Iguana" I hung ten 1.5k Broad Cycs around the black box triggered by 3 bump buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back