Lightning - What do you prefer?

How do you do lightning..?

• Total voters
I've always thought the strobes just looked like strobes. Maybe I've just been using the cheap ones, but I never thought they looked convincing. I usually do follow cues with .2 fades and follows at various intensities, and depending, from various parts of the stage, and at the end of the sequence a fade of ~.5 down to the stage setting.

I've always thought the strobes just looked like strobes. Maybe I've just been using the cheap ones, but I never thought they looked convincing. I usually do follow cues with .2 fades and follows at various intensities, and depending, from various parts of the stage, and at the end of the sequence a fade of ~.5 down to the stage setting.

A couple of years back we did a pretty convincing lightning effect using eight Martin Atomic 3000's, which have been mentioned in previous posts. They lit up the hills and trees surrounding our amphitheatre quite nicely. It took a while to figure out the best way to program the effect though.

In the past have used both a variety of intelligent fixtures and strobe's but I recently used scoops with photo flash lamps and it was very effective.

I have had to do the effect a few different times with a budget and without. Usually when I had the money I'd go with an Atomic 3000 but honestly I like the challenge of no budget and only conventional fixtures to work with.

Lightning

We are doing the show "Midsummer Jersey" And if you have read the play Oberon makes a entrance to a "Thunder Clap" I want to add a lighning strike on the cyc to act as it happened in the back ground. Any ideas? I have one where I have a mirror about 3x3 sized faced up towards the cyc and flashing a light eather from our 4th electic or from a light on the ground next to it with a pale blue gel. Any other ideas or ways to better my idea? Please and Thank you.

Re: Lightning

Depending on the effect you're going for, there are a couple ways to do this. Are you going for the intensity, or the quality of the light? Are you trying to light the cyc, or just not light the foreground area? Most of the ways I've done lightening are via flood lights. Some items that have worked for me: 1 - 4 pulses off a DMX strobe in single flash mode, bumping photoflood lamps on/off, or bumping a well aimed scoop. Very different looks for each one. Since you want this on a cyc, it might be too over the top/cartoonish, but what about shooting an ellipsoidal with a lightening bolt gobo at the cyc?

For movies & TV I use Lightning Strikes. I really strongly dislike the Hungaro Flash units I had to use. I have sworn off them; they are somebodies rental, so I may have to use them again. They are the 10 year old Quasar units. Arrggh!

...I really strongly dislike the Hungaro Flash units I had to use. ...
Can you elaborate? I see more of the Hungaro than Lightning Strikes in the concert touring industry.

The units I had, were older, and the profiles I used didn't give me as good a control as the Hungaro hand controller.
I couldn't get a fast burst off the Ion, like available from the hand controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back