lights from a computer

simchapup

Lighting Technician
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
ok the theatre im working at has an old leperchaun light board and i was wondering if there was anyway to plug my computer into that and then run it that way so i could program pre set cues if any one knows any thing please help
 

len

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Location
Chicagoland
None of which I'm aware. It is possible to control dmx via a pc or a mac, but either requires a hardware interface. The various interfaces could run from under $100 to over $1,500. Software is typically downloadable for free. Do a search on this forum for pc dmx and the like.
 

Pie4Weebl

Well-Known Member
Fight Leukemia
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Location
New York City
A program I am learning right now is Whole Hog II PC, the software is free but the usb adapter costs $75 a week to rent. The software is also more focused on moving lights.
 

soundman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Location
Nashville TN
magic Q is free and an open usb converter is like $54. I kind of like the magic Q software but have never used it in a show.
 

len

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Location
Chicagoland
Pie4Weebl said:
A program I am learning right now is Whole Hog II PC, the software is free but the usb adapter costs $75 a week to rent. The software is also more focused on moving lights.
To speed up the learning curve on that, try and get 2 (3 is even better) monitors and find the hotkey/shortcuts panel. Once you get the pc version in your fingers, the actual Hog II, III, and iPC are much easier to learn.
 

jfitzpat

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
simchapup said:
ok the theatre im working at has an old leperchaun light board and i was wondering if there was anyway to plug my computer into that and then run it that way so i could program pre set cues if any one knows any thing please help
All of our interfaces, including our 'mini' include a DMX input precisely for this purpose. Many schools and churchs have been using us to add intelligent lighting to their existing theatrical setup, but you could also use us a mechanism to add 'presets' (what we would call 'cues').

We didn't originally develop the product line for theatrical applications. We were looking at people who really needed a Hog or Grand MA, but lacked the staff, space, or capitol. However, since we have been filling the niche as a theatrical add-on we have been adding more theatre oriented features.

UKSLC.org just reviewed us here (with our 4 universe X1, not our 1 universe mini), and noted that we are already a lot more theatre friendly than most PC offerings, which seemed geared towards DJ usage. (Though, to be honest, I think that many of the offerings don't do a particularly good job of servicing the DJ market either.)

I do suggest trying before buying, you can run us with a demo version of LewLight's Capture or ArKaos VJ DMX without any hardware and get a real feel for how the software operates.

-jjf
 

Foxinabox10

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2004
Location
Boston, MA
jfitzpat said:
All of our interfaces, including our 'mini' include a DMX input precisely for this purpose. Many schools and churchs have been using us to add intelligent lighting to their existing theatrical setup, but you could also use us a mechanism to add 'presets' (what we would call 'cues').

We didn't originally develop the product line for theatrical applications. We were looking at people who really needed a Hog or Grand MA, but lacked the staff, space, or capitol. However, since we have been filling the niche as a theatrical add-on we have been adding more theatre oriented features.

UKSLC.org just reviewed us here (with our 4 universe X1, not our 1 universe mini), and noted that we are already a lot more theatre friendly than most PC offerings, which seemed geared towards DJ usage. (Though, to be honest, I think that many of the offerings don't do a particularly good job of servicing the DJ market either.)

I do suggest trying before buying, you can run us with a demo version of LewLight's Capture or ArKaos VJ DMX without any hardware and get a real feel for how the software operates.

-jjf
Please watch the advertisement of one's own product on the forums. This is against the rules and although you are trying to help, I believe you crossed the line by touting your product and talking about the positive reviews. Seperate yourself from the company and just throw it out there as a suggestion.
 

jfitzpat

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Foxinabox10 said:
Please watch the advertisement of one's own product on the forums. This is against the rules and although you are trying to help, I believe you crossed the line by touting your product and talking about the positive reviews. Seperate yourself from the company and just throw it out there as a suggestion.
I'm sorry, I thought all were relevant, DMX->PC, PC application in theatre, etc. were all brought up in the thread.

I honestly wasn't thinking in terms of 'advertisment', that is why I was frank that theatre was not the primary target when I initially designed the product.

'Seperate' seems a bit dishonest. I generally try to keep it completely clear that I am speaking from a specific company point of view so that readers can be forewarned. Simply making a recommendation without making my relationship clear makes me uncomfortable.

If I wasn't concise, my recommendation was 'try before buy' for all the products, not just ours. The myriad of offerings vary wildly in terms of quality, features, and approach.

In re-reading my post the one line that I do regret was sharing my opinion on user value of some products. It was an honest and, I would hope, not an entirely subjective opinion - but one best not publicly expressed.

-jjf
 

AVGuyAndy

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2005
jfitzpat said:
I'm sorry, I thought all were relevant, DMX->PC, PC application in theatre, etc. were all brought up in the thread.

I honestly wasn't thinking in terms of 'advertisment', that is why I was frank that theatre was not the primary target when I initially designed the product.

'Seperate' seems a bit dishonest. I generally try to keep it completely clear that I am speaking from a specific company point of view so that readers can be forewarned. Simply making a recommendation without making my relationship clear makes me uncomfortable.

If I wasn't concise, my recommendation was 'try before buy' for all the products, not just ours. The myriad of offerings vary wildly in terms of quality, features, and approach.

In re-reading my post the one line that I do regret was sharing my opinion on user value of some products. It was an honest and, I would hope, not an entirely subjective opinion - but one best not publicly expressed.

-jjf
The rule on the LAB is that you can't comment on your products unless someone else brings up your specific product first. I think that would be a good rule for here too? Dave?
 

Pie4Weebl

Well-Known Member
Fight Leukemia
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Location
New York City
len said:
To speed up the learning curve on that, try and get 2 (3 is even better) monitors and find the hotkey/shortcuts panel. Once you get the pc version in your fingers, the actual Hog II, III, and iPC are much easier to learn.
Yeah I have been working some on my home pc which has two monitors, got the hang of switching between them on the laptop though, since that is what I will be running the show off of. After reading throught the whole manual this week I can see how it would be a snap to control an actual hog 2 board and not so hard to learn to use ipc or hog 3. I can't wait to get my hands on the fixtures on monday. Woo for my first time using movers. I would have rented the iPC but the difference was $75 v. $3xx.
 

jfitzpat

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
AVGuyAndy said:
The rule on the LAB is that you can't comment on your products unless someone else brings up your specific product first. I think that would be a good rule for here too? Dave?
Again, I had been trying to use the 'in appropriate response to an question/subject' standard, since I saw other vendors and resellers making direct responses/product recommendations in other threads.

But whatever the rules are, I'm happy to comply, regardless of what others do.

-jjf