The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Design Issues and Solutions Liguid gobo?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by derekleffew, Aug 18, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

There's no such thing as starting too many threads, provided each is unique. AND productive.:)

I've never heard of a liquid gobo, but very much like the idea. Need a rotator, of course. Or, if in a moving light, finally a reason to use the "shake" feature of some.

I'm guessing the effect you're seeking is similar to the one here.
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cfTMdjkYM[/media]

As discussed in this thread:
    http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/7004-liquid-lighting.html?highlight=psychedelic.

For only ~$50K, a media server and high output video projector will give you something almost as good. Feed your heaaaad!

[user]Kelite[/user]?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. quarterfront

quarterfront Member

Perhaps something like this is what you seek?

3. Les

Les Well-Known Member

American Dj used to have a light called the "Groove Wheel" which had a built-in rotating oil-filled disc. It was sort of like what you describe. If you look around, you might be able to find something similar (all I'm finding are water effects though). Ebay might have a used one. I tried "Liquid Light Projector" and all I got was a small home use one. Your mileage may vary.

4. LightStud

LightStud Active Member

Having followed the link, I now understand why we haven't seen this brought to market. Perhaps in the ShowgunIII, which will be introduced immediately after all orders for the ShowgunII are filled.

5. bdkdesigns

bdkdesigns Active Member Fight Leukemia

I had about 4 of those little American DJ ones from my DJ business several years ago. Don't think I've ever scene a normal gobo like that though.

6. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    I've seen a oil/water pattern in a gobo rotator before, but I can't for the life of me remember who made it.

Anybody remember the overhead projector with water, food color, oil and acetate ?
    Whacka- wacka- wow - wow.
    < that's groovy psychedaelic music>

Ok I feel like a moron,
    the link Derek posted didn't show up, just some code, so I glossed over it. After I had hit the "submit" button I started scrolling down and saw the link to the Thread about psychedelic lighting. So I'm not really a moron, it's this silly coding issue that CB is having right now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  7. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Prop-tart
    Yup that was ADJ. They called them the Groove Wheel. Now out of production. No one else seems to make one.
    American DJ Homepage

8. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

Highend has an oil effect in many of their lights. Its a magenta gobo with some bubbly pattern, stacked on top of a cyan gobo with the same bubbly pattern. The gobo wheel rotates only the magenta gobo creating a moving lava lamp effect. It works well.