Loudspeakers Line Array Fly System

Sam Cash

Hi
I need to be able to fly a small Line aray system(pictured below) out on the oval at the school i work at. What is the easiest and quickest way to do this. We usually have about 90 Minutest to set up and if it rains i want to be able to quickly and safely pull them down to cover. If anyone could suggest anything you would be a lifesaver. Thanks
C1218.gif

Applied electronics makes a couple of things that would work http://www.appliednn.com/lifting.php
Before using any devise to fly speakers outside make sure are familiar with all of the safety requirements and plans you need to have in place. In this sort of situation a wind plan is more important then a rain plan.

I have seen things blow over, it's not pretty. Luckily no one was hurt. The industry is slowly starting to police itself before the government steps in and creates rules that would make our jobs impossible. Make sure you know what you are doing before using any product to fly speakers and especially outside.

What is the easiest and quickest way to do this.
The safest way is more important than the easiest or quickest way.

Along with Applied Electronics you may want to look at:
Eventer Stage Lifts Eventer
Lifts
Lifts

Keep in mind that the loads noted for the lifts may need to be derated to account for the load being supported at a point further out on the forks. For example, the Sumner Eventer ST-20 may be rated at 800lbs. with the center of the load up to 18" out on the forks but that is derated to 600lbs. if the center of the load is 24" out on the forks, a 25% derating from moving the load center just 6" further out. That can be a very relevant issue with line arrays as to fit a curve and/or a subwoofer such as in the array shown they often end up with most of the load being supported some distance out on the forks.

Make sure the lifts are intended for outdoor use. Make sure they are setup on level, hard surfaces or if you have to setup on grass or other softer surfaces that you have sufficient footings under the support points. Read the instructions and follow all recommended practices. And if you have never used a lift like these or flown a speaker array then you probably want to get someone familiar with their proper use out to show you how to use them effectively and safely at or before your first actual use.

I saw your other thread, and I'm wondering if ground stacking might be a better alternative. I'm certain I could fly PA, but I don't wanna be responsible. I have a buddy who does sound for bands and he takes 2 subs and puts them in the more upright position and then stacks 4 tops on the subs. Now granted his setup was designed to be flown or ground stacked, but he can deploy his full speaker setup in about 20 minutes where if he had to fly stuff it would take a lot longer.

If you wanna fly the PA for more coverage I think a delay setup would work and allow you to still do a ground stack. The same friend as above, uses a simple delay effect unit, not a fancy DSP (although technically it is still a digital unit). You can find a delay app on the iTunes Store or google how fast sound travels and figure out how far away your delay setup is from your stage PA.

Just another idea.

Yeah I've given up on the idea of lying a line array (it is like $7500 to ship it out to Australia and I cant find any local places that have them) so maybe stacking would be a good idea. Have to go some more research and find some local companies for speakers. Thanks

We had a touring group in a few months back that used an EV line array on top of JBL subs and they set them at audience level. Granted this was inside a PAC, but it projected well enough.

As was stated in the other thread, you are most likely contracting the need for a PA out to a company that does this sort of thing. Especially from a flying perspective, god forbid something goes wrong and you are held liable or the school is for that matter. Get in touch with a few rental companies and see if they can get you a solution that fits your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back