Line Interactive UPS w/ X32

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
So, my church just purchased an X32 Compact :)

We need to add a UPS to the system and we don't need much, the board will be the only thing on the UPS.

I was looking at Line Interactive UPS with Sine Wave Filtering.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AX9Z7W4/?tag=controlbooth-20

Based on my research, the design seems like 1) the transient time is very, very short and the sine wave deformation is minor enough that I don't think that the X32 will notice.

The real question, the real crux is just how good are the caps on the X32 Compact? Will it handle a Line Interactive style transition?

I just put an UPS on our church's X32. We bought this cyberpower UPS (it often goes on sale for $130ish).
I can't say how well that UPS you linked will work, but this one works fine. It only kicks in during power loss, so I'm not worried too much about it shortening the life of the X32 PSU.

Both UPSes are line-interactive.

Last edited:
Most all digital equipment these days run off a switch-mode power supply. Since switch-mode supplies only draw power near the peak of the AC waveform, the need for true-sine is rare, in fact most UPSs put out a stepped waveform that little resembles a sine wave and this works fine. Since the diodes only conduct near the peak, the rest of the waveform become irrelevant. Hard to say without taking apart the X32 just how much of an interruption would be needed to crash it, although the 5 volt data bus is usually the last bus down out of the supply, so 2 cycles of lost power usually would be acceptable. It would be surprising if the Tripp Lite you linked didn't fit the bill.
Sine wave become far more critical when you are operating transformer based supplies or induction motors. Those needs are becoming increasingly rare.

Most all digital equipment these days run off a switch-mode power supply. Since switch-mode supplies only draw power near the peak of the AC waveform, the need for true-sine is rare, in fact most UPSs put out a stepped waveform that little resembles a sine wave and this works fine. Since the diodes only conduct near the peak, the rest of the waveform become irrelevant. Hard to say without taking apart the X32 just how much of an interruption would be needed to crash it, although the 5 volt data bus is usually the last bus down out of the supply, so 2 cycles of lost power usually would be acceptable. It would be surprising if the Tripp Lite you linked didn't fit the bill.
Sine wave become far more critical when you are operating transformer based supplies or induction motors. Those needs are becoming increasingly rare.

Thanks guys! That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation on switch mode power supplies.

P.S. @JD, love the sig!

I don't have the time to find it now but some where on ether PSW or SFN some one posted info regarding the necessary transition time for the X32 and as I recall its a lot less than 2 cycles.

Philip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back