Line Laser that finds 90 degrees

Nick Solyom

Hello!

I'm looking for a tool that might not exist, but I thought I would ask around.

I'm looking for a self-leveling line laser, that could tell if the vertical beam is perpendicular to a wall.

Thanks, Nick

Here's a sketch to help: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg791ekomts81wr/LINE LASER.PNG?dl=0

proxy.php

When you say perpendicular, are you wanting to measure if the wall is truly perpendicular to the floor regardless of the angle of the floor or are you concerned with being plumb to vertical?
I am not aware of anything that can do either automatically that is even somewhat affordable. There are some laser based surveying tools available that can measure a wall for vertical but they start at 5 figures and go up from there. If you just need to get some what close, an 8' bubble level might be the most cost effective choice. If you need to be more precise I have had good luck setting a laser plumb bob a know distance from the base of the wall and measuring out at intervals up the wall.

Hope this helps
Dover

When you say perpendicular, are you wanting to measure if the wall is truly perpendicular to the floor regardless of the angle of the floor or are you concerned with being plumb to vertical?
I am not aware of anything that can do either automatically that is even somewhat affordable. There are some laser based surveying tools available that can measure a wall for vertical but they start at 5 figures and go up from there. If you just need to get some what close, an 8' bubble level might be the most cost effective choice. If you need to be more precise I have had good luck setting a laser plumb bob a know distance from the base of the wall and measuring out at intervals up the wall.

Hope this helps
Dover

Thanks Dover, I actually am interested in making sure the LASER is perpendicular to the WALL.

There are multi type lasers. Like this

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/31CN24?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916803277!!!g!71851365319!&ef_id=WDoOQwAABN2BF5mJ:20180206020929:s&kwid=productads-adid^50916803277-device^m-plaid^71851365319-sku^31CN24-adType^PLA

But I don’t think it will tell you if it’s a direct 90 as that would take some processing in the laser tool.

A good speed square would do the trick why do you need it to be a laser?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm an LD and I'm finding my laser so fast at lining things up.

Well if you don’t need a true 90 then what I linked should do it. Obviously don’t get from grainger they mark up like 50%.

They do exist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yup, I use the mikebags solution often to set my centerline on stage. Or, if what you really need is to be perpendicular to a wall (as you stated), you would put this cross laser near the wall and measure that the side beams are equidistant from the wall. Then the forward beam would be extending into the room, perpendicular.

I have a "laser chalk line", it has a beam that self levels to both level and plumb (horizontal 0-degrees, vertical 90-degrees) and shoots the plumb line that hits both the floor and ceiling very well.
It is extremely useful for making measurements for rigging as positions can be all measured on the ground first and be bang on (as long as you use good reference points, etc). When I was an electrician I used it a LOT for lining up potlights in expensive kitchens, especially as the marks on the floor are necessary to know where counters and islands are.

I think the answer is you need a 5 point laser level, not 2 or 3. I did this with my 3 point by using basic plane geometry - and struck a perpendicular to the wall with trammel points like I constructed perpendiculars in plane geometry class 50+ years ago to set my level and have centerline on floor and ceiling.

I make a BBD(big blanking deal) of laying plyron stage floors, specifying using intersection of PL and CL as an origin and making sure the layout is square to the PL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back