Linear excursion of speaker cone.

DHight

My understanding of the total amount a speaker cone may travel (Xmas) is relative to the volume it may produce, as the greater the excursion, the more air will be moved. I assume also, that higher excursion limits probably require more power, and that box design must take in consideration T/S parameters of which Xmas is only one. My question is, as far as clarity goes, for a woofer designed to span 100hz to 2500hz, is there a 'sweet spot' for linear excursion, can you have too little or too much?

I don't think there is a sweet spot for cone excursion per-se, but will depend on a few factors -- what type of enclosure are you using -- i.e. Sealed, Ported, Reflex, Coupled, etc. -- range of the full system being another, and desired level of playback.

You're going to inherently get a large amount of phasing smear when using subs, which is partly why an acoustically coupled box has advantages (better efficiency, cones exert less with the same dbSPL as a single cone, thus phasing smear is reduced). If your aim is a loud, clean, and coherent system then you need efficient boxes that can exert the cones as close to center as possible, and splitting up the work among many drivers is the best way to do this. The more you have, the more you open yourself up to phase issues, but the reason you often see 2x drivers in large enclosures is mainly efficiency and this efficiency translates into better phase coherence at relevant SPL levels to a single drive enclosure.

Long story short, you can't look at an individual driver in a sub setup, but at the desire of the system and the subwoofer sub-system as part of the whole for quality deployment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back