Linear LED and Rf noise

John Palmer

Has anyone been doing large installation of linear LED replacements for fluorescent tubes and run into any difficulties with Rf interference?
California became the 2nd state to prohibit the sale of CFLs (Jan. 1, 2024) and all linear fluorescents (Jan. 1, 2025). Our venue had low Rf fluorescent ballasts installed when it was constructed. Since we will be looking to phase in linear LED replacements, I want to see if anyone has experienced any issues. Our grid area (+90') has a large quantity of fluorescent fixtures that I am concerned about.
There seemed to be some issues with LED floods back in 2015, but I didn't find any reference in a search to anything more recent.
Thanks,
John

Has anyone been doing large installation of linear LED replacements for fluorescent tubes and run into any difficulties with Rf interference?
California became the 2nd state to prohibit the sale of CFLs (Jan. 1, 2024) and all linear fluorescents (Jan. 1, 2025). Our venue had low Rf fluorescent ballasts installed when it was constructed. Since we will be looking to phase in linear LED replacements, I want to see if anyone has experienced any issues. Our grid area (+90') has a large quantity of fluorescent fixtures that I am concerned about.
There seemed to be some issues with LED floods back in 2015, but I didn't find any reference in a search to anything more recent.
Thanks,
John
Reputable manufacturers/importers have RF noise specifications. Note these are usually for *single* units, so it pays to understand the dB scale...

My experience is with LED video walls, which can spew incredible amounts of broadband RF noise; the bigger the wall the more RF pollution.

I strongly suggest an illumination engineer be consulted if RF will be an issue.

I spoke with our Audio Engineer. He had the same comment about video walls. It was nice to know that he hates them as much as I do, albeit for different reasons.
Thank you for the info. I am gathering info to present to the powers that be. Implementation is still a long way off.
Take care,
John

I have probably a dozen worklights over our stage 2 tube t8 Not sure of the ballasts but in the 10 year old range. I replaced most all of them as they went with LED direct replacement tubes
I did not do the ballast bypass type. We run early sound rehearsals under the worklights, and can't really say we've had any RF issues. The new tubes were off the shelf from Menards.. not sure but I think sylvania, maybe even a mix
of FEIT and sylvania.

I installed 160 feet of GE LED tubes with the wired in, GE dimming drivers, in our church. We've used both UHF and VHF wireless mics in that space with no issues whatsoever. You shouldn't have a problem with name brand products. There are a bunch of off brand products that might radiate RF noise, despite FCC regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back