The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Control/Dimming Linux in the theatre

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by mitt10tim, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mitt10tim

mitt10tim Member

I have been looking for awhile now and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. What I want is a program that will run in Linux that can control a few lights via a usb to dmx adapter. I know such programs exist but I need it to be both simple and either free or very inexpensive. It's for a grade school and will be operated by 7th and 8th graders.

even more important and more difficult is to find is a program that will run sound effects. It really doesn't need to be a high powered program it just needs to have a cue list, be able to stop after each cue, have a fade in/out function and it would be nice if it could play cues simultaneously.
    a good example of a window program that can do this is Multiplay (which is free) again this will be used by grade schoolers.

Also I use Kubuntu, a debian based Linux

2. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Chamsys MagicQ will run in Linux, I am running in Unbuntu right now. Its very solid, it works with openDMX interfaces, and its free.

ChamSys Ltd

3. NickJones

NickJones Active Member

Yeah, Ubuntu is a great operating system, simple, yet fully customisable, I can't reccomend it enough, I have it installed onto my portable hard drive after I partitioned part of it to the linux file system, so I can use either, and I also use a "modded" version of Mac OSX that runs on my normal desktop PC, its not Mac hardware but lets me run the Mac OS. It's illegal though, but a very intersting project.....
    Nick