Linux Sound Analysis - OSC

Are you looking for something like the old "color organs" that controlled based on frequency of the sound, or something to trigger cues based on the timeline of the music? Are you opposed to using Wine to allow use of Windows programs?

Are you looking for something like the old "color organs" that controlled based on frequency of the sound, or something to trigger cues based on the timeline of the music? Are you opposed to using Wine to allow use of Windows programs?
I guess something like the "Old" Color Organs" (What would be the modern equivalent?) But, yes, something to listen to music via a mic socket and then provide a OSC code when triggered by say, the bass beat.
I've modified my OS to include my Android tablet. If I had to use WINE on laptop would. Its the end result that matters

Naturally, frequency analysis is the harder of the two options. For starters, both Audacity and NCH's WavePad will show you the frequencies, but I've not tried to capture what they plot to convert it to OSC. My initial fear is that the latency involved in doing the FFT analysis and then converting to OSC would destroy the effect. Plus, I know from sending OSC messages to an X32 mixer, that they have to be at least 12 msec apart, which would seem like a show-stopper for what you want. Sorry to be a downer.

Ben’s tutorial video at about 1:00:00 has an audio source, looking at pitch, to trigger other things. Sounds pretty close to your use case.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back