liquid lighting

Around 1970 I did a DJ gig in the Isle of Man at some Lords mansion and they brought over an American gentleman to do his light show, which used oil paints in a secret clear liquid, possibly glycerine in a glass dish over an overhead projector, about the same time the Lido were I worked mainly had a psychedelic mural painted on the back stage wall with strobing red/UV fluoros giving a moving picture.Very hi-tech for the time.

Haud testimonium postulo.
WHO (?) I bet that would look really groovy spelt out with parcans.
Was Jefferson Airplane anything like Jefferson Starship? And how many CB members are familiar with either?
im sew glam\d i is yung2:twisted:

Airplane: "One pill makes you larger... One pill makes you small... And the one that mother gives you doesn't doooo anything at all....."

Starship: "We built this city.... We built this city!... We built this city on Rock and Rollllll....."

I think the better question is who doesn't know!

Ah yes but the first Starship album.

"Hide witch hide, the good folks come to burn thee.
Their keen enjoyment hid behind a gothic mask of duty."

Now how to choose between Joplin and Slick. "Sigh"

"LSD FOGG" didn't have anything to do with Lighting and Sound Design, did it? I'm kinda thinking it means something else.;)

Actually his real name was Roger Foley, he used LSD Fogg as his pro name in those days. He still runs Fogg Enterprises a Lighting and Events Co out of Darlinghurst Sydney. I remember his shows vividly and they compare really well with the films I've seen of late sixties US stuff. He was right up there with your guys from the beginning.

And Yes of course he was referring to something else, it was the summer of love man. Dig it.

In Australia the transistion from overhead projectors to oil wheels was done using Solar 250 projectors. These projectors allowed for easy interchange of the effects wheels which included spirals, moire patterns and naked ladies like the James Bond silhouette for night clubs. They had variable speed motors and the 250 watt was quite punchy in those days. You can still get these on auction sites and are better than the chines effects lights.
I use 600 watt Pacifics with 90 degree lenses and a gobo rotator to project plastic "fergos" now for sixties "oil effects" as you can get great images. No moving blobs but the slowly rotating image works well. Sometimes I shutter half off at the floor and use it as a rotating psychedelic sun that can be as wide as the cyc.

60s Psychedelia

I'm looking for the best way to project the kind of lighting psychedelia that you would get at a 60s concert onto a cyc. It will be about a 20' throw from LX to centre of cyc.

Put on an old Jefferson Airplane album if it helps you think . . . :cool:

Re: 60s Psychedelia

An overhead projector, glass dish of oil, and bottles of food coloring?

Enjoy this thread: liquid lighting
:shock:

For a modern (but not as good) effect: a rotating multi-color gobo in a SourceFour?
proxy.php

http://www.internetapollo.com/Products/View/2258.aspx

Last edited:

Modern marvels a few years back did an episode on "60s" tech. The last few minutes of the episode were about exactly this effect. A glass clock face was used to create the dish, and as said before water and colored oil were used to create the look. Anymore however, a projector and most VJ programs will do whay you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, now feeling older than dirt, I can relate information from when I started in the business! We did a number of 60s based “shows” back in the err.. 60s (and early 70s.) The instruments of choice were customized slide projectors, from of all places, Edmund Scientific. They had dozens of glass plate wheels available. Some contained oil, others glitter in oil, or small cut out images. The glass plates would then fit into the projector on a slow moving motor. It was all quite a big mess and I was glad when that era was over!

Modern marvels a few years back did an episode on "60s" tech. The last few minutes of the episode were about exactly this effect. A glass clock face was used to create the dish, and as said before water and colored oil were used to create the look. Anymore however, a projector and most VJ programs will do whay you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

I actually saw that one! I was trying to stay away from that kind of solution because of the mess potential. I DO like some of the the other ideas! Where was this stuff when I needed to trick out my dorm room 25 years ago. . . ?

I'm looking for the best way to project the kind of lighting psychedelia that you would get at a 60s concert onto a cyc. It will be about a 20' throw from LX to centre of cyc.

Put on an old Jefferson Airplane album if it helps you think . . . :cool:

Google "Joshua Light Show".

Don't forget a cute female (or male) assistant to operate the blow dryer. Worked for me when I was 17. I think.

SB

I wanna say that a dual gobo rotator and some colored gobo's might make for some interesting effects.

Anyone remember the band Nektar? Pete Lango and I provided the stage lighting and there was Mad Mick's Light Mix.

The Opti gear is fantastic but expensive.

I was there, colour wheels on Strand 23's and 123's, oil projectors,[solar type is fine] lots of blacklight and fluoro paints, flashing x rays.With the arrival of the mini skirt who cared about the lighting?

Recreating a "liquid light show" in the year 2013

I'm trying to collect some information regarding liquid light shows and how I might possibly recreate this in such a way that it could be used on tour.[/h]

I definitely don't want to travel with an overhead projector or two (or any of the materials needed to do a live liquid show), because it is a mess I don't have time to set up or take down every night. I also wouldn't realistically be able to do a liquid show on the fly since I'm also controlling other fixtures and video clips during the show.

What I will be traveling with, though, is a video projector (a basic 3K-5K projector). Would the effect still translate if I were to do the overhead projector setup and pre-record it using a video camera? Theoretically, I think that I could turn that video footage into individual clips and use VDMX to play the clips over the performers/stage. I could also add effects to these clips through VDMX which has the potential to be even more psychedelic.

Has anyone ever attempted to recreate a liquid light show using anything other than the materials originally used for this sort of thing? Is there something else I could try that I'm just not thinking of? I really want to present this idea, but need to know how to execute it first.

If you're not sure what a liquid light show is, or how it's usually done - this is a helpful link: MAKE - Liquid Lighting - Three Thousand

Thanks for any advice! I'm a young'n in my first year of lighting (and first 6 months of doing video projection), and I'm not sure if I'm getting ahead of myself here :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back