The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Liquid sky effect?

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by LPdan, Apr 15, 2018.

1. LPdan

LPdan Member

Any advice for creating a liquid sky effect on a traditional theatre stage? We have hazers, foggers, and dry ice foggers for atmospherics. Not sure on which to use, placement, fans, etc.
    We also have a pretty good projector. Could this be done with that, or are lasers required? Only laser we have is a Blizzard Mezmerizer. Any advice appreciated!

2. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

3. EdSavoie

EdSavoie Well-Known Member

College Student
    Martin has an old unit that made this effect very well... Can't remember the model number though.

4. LPdan

LPdan Member

I read through the aurora borealis thread. I didn’t see any pictures, so not sure it’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’m really hoping to create a 3D effect with what is traditionally done with lasers where a narrow beam is scanned quickly in a haze or fog environment, creating a visible “sky” over the stage or even audience.

5. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

The best I've seen it done is with lasers. With a backlight cyc material and thick dry ice side lit in a contrasting color you might be able to pull it off.

6. Jeff Lelko

Jeff Lelko Active Member

Lasers will generally pull this effect off best, but there are alternative specialty effect lights that can make a similar look if lasers aren't practical for budget or safety reasons. The most recent iteration of such an effect is the Elation Sniper. The "Pro" model is far more satisfactory than the "2R" model. They're not lasers and shouldn't be billed as such, but if done right they can make some decent effects including the "3D" that you mention. Good luck!

7. LPdan

LPdan Member

Awesome I will check this out! Thanks for all the advice/suggestions.