Live video mixing and recording

ericnush

Looking for a suggestion from the pros. I am looking to do a live-record to a digital file, with two cameras picture-in-picture (PIP). This is for a conference, where one camera will face the speaker, and another camera will face the audience. The idea is the have the audience be in the lower right 25% PIP, with the speaker filling most of the screen.
The client would like it dumped to a digital file for instant playback.
I could do this easily in post-production, but to do it all live sounds like a lot of equipment, and expensive. Any ideas/thoughts, or a magic box that would mix PIP and record at once?
Thanks!

Mmm...one way to do it is with hardware (AV mixer?) that has 2 inputs with pip feature, and 2 outputs - one to projector for live playback of the 2 inputs, and one to a recorder (pc with capture card and recording software).

Another is with a pc fitted with, say, a Decklink Duo which has 2 SDI inputs for the cameras. Recording the capture is with Decklink's own Media Express, but I'm not sure if that software can capture both inputs at the same time, even with one as a pip. The card will capture both inputs live. It is the capturing software's capability I'm questioning. Asking Blackmagic would be best unless someone here has the card and 2 cameras/sources to test for you.

Next problem is to stream the resultant two inputs out to the projection system. I have Dataton Watchout and AvStumpfl's Wings Platinum, both of which would be able to do it since they are made for large, fullscreen projection/LED walls/etc. Both are not cheap solutions to buy so perhaps rental and handing over the responsibility of taking-the-stream-live-to-projection to the rental company would be more practical. Bear in mind, however, that with pc capture/pc processing/pc streaming there will be some latency. Depending on components used, the best would be about 4 frames.

ThomasL

Both at once? No.... But a black magic atem will do this no problem. Then drop that to a hyperdeck and your done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back