Lobby Flooring

MarshallPope

I am overseeing some renovations in the church I TD, and we are looking at new lobby/hallway flooring. I'm recommending tile, but have people who are pushing for resilient vinyl plank. Does anyone have any experience with this type of vinyl in a moderate-traffic public space? I've seen enough scratches and gouges in various vinyl floors to be a bit wary about using it.

For a lobby you have to worry about people coming in from inclement weather, so whatever you get it has to be resilient to moisture (so the floor won't buckle when it gets wet, and won't be too slippery).

For our vestibule from the outside we have tile, and on top weather resistant carpet where the walking path is...but in addition to rain we also have to deal with snow and salt.

Any type of vinyl tile has adhesive under it. In my experience, that adhesive won't last with moisture. In a few years you'll need to reattach the floor. Edit: most vinyl can also get quite slippery when wet. Even with rugs, that floor is going to see water.

Where I am we have ~16' of 2x2 walk-off mat tiles (think carpet designed to catch snow and salt) then standard 2x2 carpet tiles. Eight years in, no issues (and we don't use runner rugs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back