Local custom or standard practice?

Qualified people still make mistakes, Steve. And note that I said *people*; if one person is on Dimmer Beach, and one is 50 feet up on truss, and the cables weren't labeled properly, it's *still* possible to make this category of mistake.

Anyone who says that *systems* can categorically, 100% avoid this category of mistake hasn't been in the field.

Anyone who says that *systems* can categorically, 100% avoid this category of mistake hasn't been in the field.
1. The afore-mentioned S400 system will not allow power to pass unless it approves of the type of break-out.

2. Christie Lites and a few others subscribe to a 19pin pin-out that won't allow bad things to happen if 208v and 120v lines get mixed up. One might end up with hot & neutral on the same phase, but since the potential difference between the two is zero, lamps are safe.
2. There are two different ways of wiring the female Socapex outlets, and each requires the same wiring in the break-out. This is to idiot-proof plugging a 120V BO into a 208V outlet, and is used by Christie and some others (like the Strand LightRack, as discussed here: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/etc-sensor-or-strand-light-rack.15476/ )

The "normal" way:_____The "ChristieLites and Strand" way:
Pin# Ckt# Use: Phase:_Pin# Ckt# Use: Phase:
1 1-LOAD L1 A__________1 1-LOAD L1 A
2 1-LOAD L2 B__________2 2-LOAD L1 A
3 2-LOAD L1 C__________3 1-LOAD L2 B
4 2-LOAD L2 A__________4 2-LOAD L2 B
5 3-LOAD L1 B__________5 3-LOAD L1 B
6 3-LOAD L2 C__________6 4-LOAD L1 B
7 4-LOAD L1 A__________7 3-LOAD L2 C
8 4-LOAD L2 B__________8 4-LOAD L2 C
9 5-LOAD L1 C__________9 5-LOAD L1 C
10 5-LOAD L2 A________10 6-LOAD L1 C
11 6-LOAD L1 B________11 5-LOAD L2 A
12 6-LOAD L2 C________12 6-LOAD L2 A
13-18 GROUND -________13-18 GROUND -
19 N/C -_______________19 N/C -
(Phasing may not be accurate for all distros. Some go AB,CA,BC,AB,CA,BC... Others go AB,BC,CA,AB,BC,CA...)
The "normal" break-out can be used for either 120 or 208, one just has to change the six female outlets. The "other" offers the benefit of passing no power if a 120 is connected to a 208, as the potential difference between hot and neutral is zero.

Since that was a reply to me, I will respond by noting that it seems like both forks of your reply were using *technology*, not systems, to avoid the Bad Thing happening; that was pretty much the fundament of my argument, yes. :)
I agree. However "avoid" and "prevent" are two different concepts. 520.68(D) attempts to "avoid", while allowing common industry practice under the NEC.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back