Long term DMX program

daught

Hello. I am an electrician, specialized in automation. This is not my field so please bear with me. I am inheriting a project where a building's lobby lights on each floor are controlled and dimmed using Leviton 005-D4DMX-MD3. The DMX network between controllers is cat6 with cat6 to DMX 3 pin adapters. The initial plan was to use a single Sunricher DMX512 Dimmer Master SR-2830ADMX to control the Leviton dimmer. I realize this is far from an ideal setup, and I had nothing to do with it's design.

The first item I need help with is choosing a controller. I need controller that can be programmed for a daily schedule that follows the daily sunrise/sunset schedule. Does such a controller exist?

There are architectural lighting controllers, such as ETC's Paradigm, that have this capability. Set longitude/latitude and it will adjust sunrise and sunset according to seasons.

The selection of a tree dimmer for lobby lights is interesting. Should be easy to replace though.

I have used these dimmer packs before but in a portable environment. If they are not heavily loaded then they will probably work fine. If it is one long DMX run, the last pack should have proper termination. Be careful not to plug into MPX connectors as these have power on the XLR.

Another architectural lighting controller that can do sunrise/sunset is Strand's Vision.Net. It might be good to discuss this situation with a dealer in theatrical lighting systems.

The very foundation of the DMX512 standard is that any DMX controller can run any DMX dimmer. Generally, this has been true for decades.

The Leviton dimmer appears to be a portable unit, unsuitable for permanent installation. These are often used on portable lighting "trees" that hold a few lights for small events.

The Sunricher unit seems similar to many small wall-box mounted devices. The features of these units vary widely, but this unit seems limited to 4 dimmers and a few presets. (BTW "preset" simply means memories for each zone or dimmer, available by one button.)

Which features are important can be long drawn out discussion. Ease of use is claimed by nearly everybody, but there are many other functions to consider. The Paradigm unit mentioned is vastly more powerful and of a completely different class of controller (and price range). Some of the ETC "Echo" family products are far closer.

Honestly with your setup I doubt they will spring for a real house light setup. You would be better off running a photo cell outside to tigger power to the Dmx D4Ds and presetting them to just be on when you walk in. You could also just run mechanical timers off the outlet to the D4Ds if you didn’t want to hassle with a photo cell

Now the controller most likely won’t take control, didn’t look up if it assumes control, but the first person in the the facility in the morning can just set it to what it should be and then it will just turn off at night.

The real solution is to ditch the “shoebox tree dimmers” And upgrade to a real architectural system.

The Interactive Technology CS-950 looks like an excellent solution. The ETC Foundry 600W Dimmers are the real dimmer solution if those lutrons need to be replaced.

Now, sorry for asking a very basic question, but before I dive too deep in this I would like to know the following. If the CS-950 is programmed to follow a sunrise/sunset schedule, is it possible to add an override dmx button? For example the ETC Paradigm PI1104. It has for buttons and a rotary encoder. So let's say when someone presses button one the lights turn off until button two is pressed which resumes the schedule. The rotary knob sets the master dimming level.

Much appreciated, thanks for the expertise.

The Interactive Technology CS-950 looks like an excellent solution. The ETC Foundry 600W Dimmers are the real dimmer solution if those lutrons need to be replaced.

Now, sorry for asking a very basic question, but before I dive too deep in this I would like to know the following. If the CS-950 is programmed to follow a sunrise/sunset schedule, is it possible to add an override dmx button? For example the ETC Paradigm PI1104. It has for buttons and a rotary encoder. So let's say when someone presses button one the lights turn off until button two is pressed which resumes the schedule. The rotary knob sets the master dimming level.

Much appreciated, thanks for the expertise.
I think the CS-950 is way overkill for your application. I am currently replacing an Interactive Technologies Express model that survived over 7 years in a waterproof enclosure outdoors with their CS-810 unit which should do everything you need to do at half the cost of the CS-950. I would advise calling Nathan at Interactive and discussing your project, specifically the need to incorporate a manual override button. The specs say there are inputs for button or contact closures. Also in agreement with replacing the Leviton dimmer with a proper architectural unit. Depending on the electrical loads you're dimming, ETC's Foundry series dimmer modules may be useable.

Last edited:
Great looks like IT legacy devices are available and would fill the requirements. I also found the ETC EchoTouch. Server, timeclock and touchscreen in one device. Looks like a much more suitable device with I/Os built in. The power requirements are minimal. Thanks for the name at IT.

I would also highly recommend Interactive Technologies CueServer. Your override scenario can be accomplished a few different ways. I’d probably have the override input update a variable that the time clock event would check before triggering the sunrise/sunset presets. The user inputs can be buttons wired to the GPIO (depending on model), A HTML page hosted on the Cueserver, or one of IT's buttons stations. Cueserver is highly flexible and should have no problem accomplishing your requirements.

For an architectural install like this I would say pathway connectivity all the way. They have Vignette systems for exactly this purpose. Alternatively, a Cognito has onboard sunrise sunset operation and would be very easy to program plus when something special is needed individual sliders could be programmed for easy override. I will also say their customer support has been fantastic whenever I have needed help.

Thanks for the replies. I really have to dig in the cueserver api. I need to be sure on myself that I can achieve the requirements with it.

Rob, I guess I just watched your videos? Maybe I am missing something but while the priority levels would override the schedule, I fail to see how it would update the scheduled snapshot output level.

I fail to see how it would update the scheduled snapshot output level.

The Playback - which I loving refer to as the 'meat grinder' thing that does all the store/recall/fade of the snapshots - has its own property that sets its sACN priority. You can use a button or contact or time event to change the priority on the fly. Or.... if the clock is running one playback's schedules at one priority, you can use another playback (your local slider) on another playback at a higher priority. It's the DMX gateways that arbitrate between multiple sources at differing priorities.

I would recommend downloading Cueserver Studio and creating a test file. Interactive recently released a free service to reserve a private Cueserver that you can run a show file on. Once you create your show file in Cueserver Studio you can connect to their remote Cueserver and test the program.

CueServer Farm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back