So for years I have seen this up in the tech storage of my local community theatre. It was usually behind some junk on the lowest shelf next to the air handler and I just assumed it was some old electric dryer motor or something. Anyway a few days ago I finally decided to pull it out and give it a look and it turns out to be a 2,000w rheostat dimmer. I asked if I could have it and they said sure, since no one can remember the last time it was used. I still haven't gotten the courage to plug it in. If I do, it will probably be out in the driveway from 20 feet away with an extension cord. And into a GFI outlet. Just by looking at it I can already tell I'd like to have a heavier duty cable attached to it (like the ones used for lighting jumpers, isn't that S.O.?), which I think I have attached to this Mole Richardson light that I have. It has about 25' of cable and I feel like I only need 6. There is a knockout which hasn't been knocked out on the opposite side of the existing one, so if I would probably knock it out and run the input through one and the output through the other. And strain relief it too. On the other hand, judging by the lack of rear (and bottom) cover (shock hazard) and asbestos looking cable on the inside shaft, maybe this whole thing would be best stripped for it's copper? What do you think? EDIT: Just noticed it carries a UL Label. heh. It would never pass today. SPECS: "Powerstat" Transformer Dimmer by Superior Electric Co. Model/Type D2000 Serial Number 2793 16.7 Amp You will have to excuse the quality of pictures. Camera phone. Bleh.