Looking for a CHEAP light board

kenact

I do a lot of work for a non-profit theater in New York. I just donated 2 MBT 2x4 DMX dimmer packs. I'm looking for a controller to run them. Preferably VERY simple 2 scene 8 dimmer board. I know there are a bunch of 240 scene 192 channel boards for under $100 on ebay, but the person that will be using the board most of the time, won't be able to manage it. He only recently started using a cell phone. :)

Ideally, the board will have 2 rows of 8 dimmers each, with a master & crossfade. Anything beyond that is gravy.

FYI, this will be replacing 4 household dimmers, that can't fade to black.

Will an NSI MC7008 work? There are several on Ebay - just make sure it has the DMX card.

Thanks Gary, in terms of capabilities, it would work, but it won't fit in their budget. I just missed out on a Sunn 2x8 board that went for $62 plus shipping. As a non-profit, that's the range they want to be in. As I said, CHEAP! :)

Thanks Gary, in terms of capabilities, it would work, but it won't fit in their budget. I just missed out on a Sunn 2x8 board that went for $62 plus shipping. As a non-profit, that's the range they want to be in. As I said, CHEAP! :)

Are you looking for a board with DMX or MPX output? I don't think Sunn ever made anything with DMX. A converter would probably cost way more than the board.

I don't think Sunn ever made anything with DMX.
They most certainly did. In 1989 I had a 24ch. Sunn desk running 2x Colortran D192 dimmer pack s. The Sunn was one of the few (only?) MIDI-capable lighting desks available at the time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

-----
Preferably VERY simple 2 scene 8 dimmer board.
Search for a used Lightronics TL4008, Leprecon LP-612, or NSI as above.

BCI Pocket Console DMX might have a solution for you. Not a 2 scene preset, but 8 submasters might do the trick instead. Plus they are really good guys and long time advertising supporters of Control Booth so that's a bonus!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did try contacting local reantal companies, the New York City area, but none of them responded to my inquiry.

I finally found a Stage Setter 8, which will be perfect for the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back