Looking for a DMX recorder

JohnA

Greetings to all,

I am looking for a reliable DMX recorder. It should meet all of the following requirements: 256 channel recording, input from any DMX console, 2 show storage with 100 steps (minimum) per show, and (Very important) ability to advance each step manually (like a GO button press).

I saw the Elation DMX partner, but it only stores info from 96 channels, which may not be enough. Any suggestions are welcome.
--John A

I just got 5 of the Elation DR 512 and they are working out real well for us. It will store up to 512 channels, can record up to four shows in the unit but can expand up to 32 shows with a Compact flash card. You can have as many steps as you want. I have one show that runs for 3 hours with different things happing every few seconds. It's super easy to use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i dont think your going to find a DMX recorder that will step through cues other then using the play/pause/stop buttons. One of the main points of using a DMX recorder is to record your shows into the unit and be able to just play them back without the need of a console. Good for clubs and installs where the same lighting runs for a period of time. If it's important that you are able to step through cues, you might want to look into something else or just stick with your console.

Thanks for the replies Derek, digitaltec & Tim. Here is my rationale for the recorder/step playback unit:

I work exclusively with community theaters & schools. On several occasions I have had double bookings. If I could set all the cues up on my console, then record them on the DMX recorder/PB unit, the SM could act as the "virtual console operator", as she could press a "GO" button to advance to the next cue. I could then use the console at the other event.

It would be impossible to use a "real time" playback unit with these groups, as their timing is not nearly precise enough (the "talent"). It would work well for music, but I my chief concern is using an automated system for dialog. The PB unit would just continue to advance cues; if the students took a little too long on their lines, the next cue would be too soon. Conversely, if they skipped some lines, the automated cue would come too late. Just too many variables for "real time" PB in my situation.

Last edited:
You could always buy a second board.....

what kind of console are you using to do the programing on?

What about buying a used Fat Frog? Solaris has two for around $2500. One they say is unused.

Last edited:
The Interactive Technologies' CueServer™ would also fit your needs. Unfortunately, all the options I've offered cost more than a Fat Frog, new or used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back