Looking for a new lectern

Jon Majors

I'm not sure where exactly to post this question, so please help guide me if it belongs somewhere else. I am looking to purchase a new lectern for my school's auditorium. Our previous one had a boom arm attached to the top where I could attach an SM58.

Does anyone have recommendations on one? Any help is appreciated!

Jon M.

I'm not sure where exactly to post this question, so please help guide me if it belongs somewhere else. I am looking to purchase a new lectern for my school's auditorium. Our previous one had a boom arm attached to the top where I could attach an SM58.

Does anyone have recommendations on one? Any help is appreciated!

Jon M.
@Jon Majors I'm long retired and out of touch. When I was doing custom installations, the company I was with had all of the lecterns and custom desks for "electronic classrooms" in a myriad of local colleges and universities custom designed by the various schools to match their existing classrooms and fabricated by a local cabinetry shop who installed all of the various drawers, doors, hinges and locks then we installed touch screens, document cameras, architectural lighting control systems, etcetera, yada, yada.
I'm sure Google, and many posters, will provide many options but Middle Atlantic Products, best known for their rack and rack accessory products, had expanded into an ever growing line of lecterns from simple to poshly extravagant. I'm sure a multitude of others will post momentarily, if they haven't while I've been typing.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

If all you need is a boom arm or gooseneck to physically hold a microphone, and not any amplifier or speaker system or control panel built in, it is trivially easy to attach such things to most any lectern. A few screws to affix a little mounting plate, and you have become Bob's nephew or niece.

(There are better microphones than the venerable SM58 for these duties, though it is hard to make a good recommendation on that front without more details. There are also plenty of worse choices; the SM58 is venerable with good reason.)

I have suggested the Summit Chameleon lectern to a local high school and the local city auditorium. They are both very happy with their purchases. These things have a solid polyethylene structure where the color goes all the way thru so scratches are not so obvious versus wood. Virtually indestructible. I would never buy a wood lectern after working with these. https://www.summitlectern.com/page9.html
Our local army post has several of them which are used for outdoor ceremonies and they always look good. But not cheap at $800-900 for the basic unit. I think they can be purchased thru Staples and Summit may have some "seconds" at reduced price that have very minor flaws from the molding process. I think Summit can install a mic mount as an option but I would just do it yourself or use a separate boom stand.
The front insert comes in different styles and is removable for customization (logo, etc.) or you can make your own.
Get the best and cry once. And no, they don't pay me for this, just an enthusiastic endorser!

Summit Chameleon.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back