looking for a way to wirelessly control a dimmer

len

I'm looking for a way to control a dimmer or two, wirelessly. I have a bunch of shoebox dimmers and I want to be able to temporarily install one in a ceiling, plug it in (power in the ceiling and a way to safety it) then connect it to a VERY SIMPLE wireless control, so I can hand it over to a dj or wedding planner, and walk away, and they can dim it as needed. If I need to buy a new dimmer, I'll do it, but the system needs to be VERY SIMPLE TO OPERATE.

I would just bolt on a wireless dmx adapter and plug it into the shoebox main feed in and leave the receiver at the controller. Or are you looking more for an AIO Solution.

These two blizzard lightcasters 2.4ghz work pretty well to control the carousal you see across the way. I haven't had to reset them or do anything with them in the two years they have been working.

image.jpeg

Shameless plug for products I personally designed:

Our RC4Magic DMXmrx is intended for this purpose. It's small and easy to velcro or cable-tie to the side of just about anything, and comes with a short XLR adaptor cable. This wirelessly links with a DMXio at the other end, using private digital system IDs that belong ONLY to you. This means other wireless DMX in or around your space absolutely cannot interfere with your system. This is a big deal -- only RC4 ensures this.
http://www.theatrewireless.com/shop/rc4magic-s3/rc4magic-dmxmrx/
http://www.theatrewireless.com/shop/rc4magic-s3/dmxio-hg-ext-ant/

Video demo -- jump about 2/3 of the way through, see the part where I use a DMX2dim as a data receiver. The DMXmrx is the same device but without the low-voltage DC dimmers:
http://www.theatrewireless.com/support/video/s3-dmx-cable-replacement/

Jim
RC4

Len - its hard to help without a little clearer description. You have the dimmer (bar) and it takes DMX, and you want to control it wirelessly, and the controller needs to be basically a single slider or knob? Would an i-phone app also be OK? I kind of feel that for cheap and simple, it might be hard to beat the X10 products, though probably using one of their dimmers along with the wireless piece and app. Not an expert on that stuff but compared to most wireless dmx - where you need a transmitter, receiver, a controller, as well as the dimmer - well - just a thought. (And, if you can plug into same "grid", you might use their basic powerline control system. I mean, do you care how signal gets to dimmer as long as it doesn't require wires? Well under $100 for whole shebang.)

Len - its hard to help without a little clearer description. You have the dimmer (bar) and it takes DMX, and you want to control it wirelessly, and the controller needs to be basically a single slider or knob? Would an i-phone app also be OK? I kind of feel that for cheap and simple, it might be hard to beat the X10 products, though probably using one of their dimmers along with the wireless piece and app. Not an expert on that stuff but compared to most wireless dmx - where you need a transmitter, receiver, a controller, as well as the dimmer - well - just a thought. (And, if you can plug into same "grid", you might use their basic powerline control system. I mean, do you care how signal gets to dimmer as long as it doesn't require wires? Well under $100 for whole shebang.)

A phone ap isn't going to do it because every event has a different wedding planner, a different dj or band, etc. X10 is a possibility, but it raises a durability issue since it's all plastic and things tend to get pretty hard use. Certainly works $$ wise. I have an 8 channel controller and a bunch of wireless transmitters which are under-utilized, so that might just be the shortcut.

It's the simple controller for the users that seems like the toughest part. Buy the DFD device and good wireless dmx transmitter and receiver. I think you could buy 10 to 20 complete X10 setups for the price of the wireless option.

Why aren't these doing the job? What's the problem with them?
They really COULD but I was looking for a single channel rotary or slide dimmer type interface that is idiot-proof. I might try some of the X-10 stuff that Bill Conner suggested. I'll have to find a way to make it more durable without a lot of inconvenience.

I have an 8 channel Chauvet and it seems to reset every time I use it, so I spend another 15 minutes per job just getting that set up. Plus, it's bigger than most wedding planners like (never mind that djs come in with all their homemade crap and it looks it). Even bringing in a small 19" rack mount 8 space controller makes them crazy. The only time I ever bring in larger than that is when there is a 10 piece orchestra that I can blend in with.

If you're looking for something simple.... you can look into our DJ wireless stuff. We have a little mini console with wireless built in, and a receiver.
Obey4 D-Fi: (about $130 street price)
D-Fi HUB : (about $100 street price)

So easy, even a wedding planner can use it :)

So easy, even a wedding planner can use it :)

You know what they say, make something idiot-proof and someone makes a better idiot.

Is that the damn truth.

Honestly I would buy the http://www.dfd.com/ap.html and an RC4 and just up your charge for weddings to pay it off in a few weddings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back